• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Hottest Landraces?

The hottest landraces seem to come from either South Asia with the Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia or Trinidad with the 7 Pot Peppers and the Trinidad Scorpions.

I don't know if it because the 7 Pot Dogulah is bitter, but I found it to be extremely pungent and not pleasant at all. Far worse than any ghost I've taken a bite of.

So, what are the hottest landraces you know of?

SpeakPolish said:

I don't know if it because the 7 Pot Dogulah is bitter, but I found it to be extremely pungent and not pleasant at all. Far worse than any ghost I've taken a bite of.

Every brown chili pepper I've ever tried has hit me that way.

Douglah from Chile Pepper Institute seed were the hottest landrace I've tried. It is quite floral/vegetal/woody, but that doesn't impact heat.

There is a difference in how different varieties burn. For example, Fatalii is not nearly as hot as a Douglah, but there is a painful, harsh component to its burn that the Douglah does not have.

Conversely, to my tastes, ghost and naga varieties can be really hot, but to me they seem to have a more tolerable burn, less in the throat, than superhots from the Caribbean and Central and South America.

Duration of burn is another thing. A Rocoto is far less hot than any superhot, but the duration of the burn is as long or probably longer than a 7-pot or a ghost.

It's really hard to say what's really the hottest, because there are so many capsaicinoids that all have different sensory properties. Scoville scale testing by HPLC only quantifies two: capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin.

Back