• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hottest wings in Houston

Got my order from Defcon today.

defcon.jpg

Looking forward to trying me some wings, wings, and more wings! I did sample the Contaminated Soil and have to say that flavor is simply wonderful. I can think of a ton of foods I eat that it will go with, so great job with that! When you do a full production run I hope there's a larger container you can buy.

That box was just full of so much fiery love!

DEFCON Creator said:
What? The Contaminated Soil isn't just about heat, non of our regular products are. That's like comparing a tennis ball to a dishwasher.

Agreed on that statement.  It's got a nice heat to it but the flavor is what sets it apart.  S*** is good.  VERY GOOD.

That said, at some point when the lady gives me my wallet back I'm going to pick up some Pure Evil to use.  Interested to see how extract without the chemical taste works out.

DEFCON Creator said:
What? The Contaminated Soil isn't just about heat, non of our regular products are. That's like comparing a tennis ball to a dishwasher.
:::Disclaimer::: ----> :drunk:

EliteMcScruffin said:
Agreed on that statement.  It's got a nice heat to it but the flavor is what sets it apart.  S*** is good.  VERY GOOD.

That said, at some point when the lady gives me my wallet back I'm going to pick up some Pure Evil to use.  Interested to see how extract without the chemical taste works out.
Careful with that word 'extract'. Some people might get the wrong idea. :D
Pure Evil has no flavor at all. If/when you get some, make two scrambled eggs with 3-5 drops of PE. You will see what I mean.

Scoville DeVille said:
Careful with that word 'extract'. Some people might get the wrong idea. :D
Pure Evil has no flavor at all. If/when you get some, make two scrambled eggs with 3-5 drops of PE. You will see what I mean.

Whoops!  I went back and looked at the page for it again and see clear as day first thing "not an extract" which goes on to be repeated multiple times.  I stand corrected on that statement.

So I took a 2 hour lunch and continued the quest today at Bonfire Wings at Westheimer near Dairy Ashford.  Tried their Insanely Hot Wings, Cajun "Mojo" Wings, and Jamaican Jerk wings.

The insanely hot wings were, unfortunately, insanely not.  I got the slightest bit of warmth after the 5th or 6th wing, but it just didn't compare with other wings I have tried.  Flavor wasn't quite there either.  Maybe it was an off day for whoever makes the sauce (if it is made fresh?) but they just didn't really impress me at all.

The Cajun "Mojo" Wings were by far my favorite.  They had a nice cajun seasoning with a lime bite to them.  The heat was actually more than their Insanely Hot Wings if that makes a difference, but they were still mild by me.

Jamaican Jerk is another I won't be ordering again.  The two guys I was with as well as myself all had the same reaction of saying "... that's... interesting...." when we tried them.  It tasted like it was on the road to having a jerk flavor but got lost in the way as there were some flavors that were seriously missing from that sauce.  It tasted more like a garlic sauce with an ever so slight hint of jerk seasoning to it.

The wing quality was good overall as there were some meaty pieces and the sauce wasn't lacking on them.  If you are interested in some good wing flavors without the heat, I would recommend giving it a shot.  If you want some wings with both good flavor and a gracious dose of heat, then you may want to look elsewhere.

I really hope the next place I try can give me something that's got some true heat to it without the nasty taste of extract.

That said, I had some wings last weekend with Defcon's Defense Condition 1 sauce.  Crazy how buttery it can taste without having butter!  The sauce was very good and I'll probably pick up some more in the future.  The real item from my package that I am addicted to aside from the Contaminated Dust is the Deathmatch Mark IV A Cluckwing Orange sauce.  Holy hell this S*** is good!  Why can't a wing place just buy this by the truckload to release upon their patrons?  I have used it on chicken, as a dip for pizza and breadsticks, and a few other things and can't get enough of it.  So good and just about the perfect heat level!  Builds slowly but after a few bites peaks out and actually hits the level of hot for me I wish so many other things could.  Nice burn at the back of the tongue for about 10-15 minutes after eating too.  Will absolutely be getting more of that because that truly does result in my house being the location of the hottest, best tasting wings in town!

This thread makes me sad. I saw two pages of replies and got all excited that I was going to find a bunch of new wing places to try out.  :tear:

Not to take away from Defcon's promo thread :lol:  As I too am an acolyte, and think his are the best wing sauces I have ever had, BUT, you guys in Houston should check out IBurn.  James Wreck has a ton of sauces there and can probably make some recommendations that might just get you close to the Nirvana that Defcon can.

JayT said:
Not to take away from Defcon's promo thread :lol:  As I too am an acolyte, and think his are the best wing sauces I have ever had, BUT, you guys in Houston should check out IBurn.  James Wreck has a ton of sauces there and can probably make some recommendations that might just get you close to the Nirvana that Defcon can.

I've read and heard about iBurn.  I am stuck around the W/NW side of Houston most the time so it's tough to get the trip over to his location in.  Definitely interested.

Lol... when I posted about the Defcon sauces I was thinking about how off topic it was considering the point of this is looking for restaurants/food trucks/etc that can provide me with some flaming flavor, but they were good enough so that I didn't really care.

PepperWhisperer said:
This thread makes me sad. I saw two pages of replies and got all excited that I was going to find a bunch of new wing places to try out.  :tear:

It'd be awesome to get some other people in or visiting the Houston area to weigh in on some of the wing offerings around.  I cut them out of my diet for a week and have lost 10lbs(!) which shocked me.

I would HIGHLY recommend trying out Wild Wing Cafe at Westgreen and I10.  Though the Braveheart wings don't seem as crazy hot as they used to, they still are quite hot and have wonderful flavor 95% of the time (all sauces made fresh daily).  Habanero hot has the best flavor I have ever eaten for hot wings in a restaurant as well as some nice heat to them.  They have 30+ flavors and there are only two or three I've had that I haven't liked (ranchelada, red hot & bleu, and jalapeno cheddar).

Holy Jesus, I just looked at their menu and they have a new flavor from their competition available:  Honey Lime Sriracha - Back to eating some wings cause I gotta get me some of that!

Back