• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How big are your plants when you "plant out"?

My plants tend to be 10" or taller, from the bottom of the cup to the top of the canopy. The canopy is usually six inches, at the least. Alas, at least six inches of them are stems that I bury in the dirt.

The superhots seem to have less stem growth and more of a canopy.

Mike

Mine was about the same but I didn't harden them up enough. They sure did take a beating but they coming on little by little. Good luck

I do things differently in my climate. I don't plant mine in the ground until July and the ones that do go in the ground are my biggest ones that have outgrown their big containers

I do the same as Potawie for the same reasons, the climate. This is manzano I just planted out in 1/2 55 gal drum:

The plant has been growing inside in hydro for a year and has been pruned quite a bit. It has been flowering for a long time.

IMG_3282A.jpg

chuck,

I haven't hardened them off - yet. Our weather has been so April-like (minus and hard frosts) that the sunlight is not a factor. It's been above 70 very few times. The 17 I tansplanted already have seen maybe 1.5 days of sun and even then it was hardly warm (upper 50s-low 60s). Saturday is going to maybe be the first day that the sky is not overcast, but even then the temps will be in the low-mid 60s. Plus, they are on the back porch where they are shaded from the afternoon and evening sun. It doesn't look like it will get above 73 or so in the next five days, which means they will have at least eight days in the containers.

Mike

Back