• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How big do the plants get?

I've seen a lot of pictures of giant Dorset Naga's, but not really of any other type. Is it just that one that can become giant or do most plants have the same potential?

It depends on the growing conditions. I had a 5 foot jalapeno. I saw a 10 foot plant on here just yesterday. Some, like the white hab, will stay small and bushy. The nagas can grow tall AND bushy

With a good pot size / inground and with a suitable support and care to tie it up as it grows reducing the weight stresses on the plant , 8-9-10 feet plants of certain varieties can happen.

I had first season NuMex Big Jim plants last year that were taller than me.

plucking early flowers seems to help with annuums a lot

+1 to Phil about growing conditions. Your growing zone is likely a cool one like mine, with a very short growing season. I grow in pots and had a third-year douglah that was as tall as me. I brought it indoors when the weather got too cold and did not do a severe pruning. A really bad aphid attack got to it after that, though, and I let it go. Pubescens can live a very long time, if you have the right conditions (16+ years), and can get both very tall and very wide. But it's unlikely that you'll get them to be as large as they can get if you have to grow in pots. harry's grow log has some pics of his outdoor, in-ground grow if you want to look at them.

perspective1.jpg
Tobago%2520sweet%2520150414.jpg

The perspective is due to fisheye lens but the red pod plant is Tobago sweet, about 3,5m (12feet) tall and produced 10kg(22lbs).
The pic on the right is from the time I put the plant into the greenhouse. The height was already 170cm. The bucket is 90 liters.
Growing in NFT.

back%2520room2.jpg

Bluesman, that's seriously impressive. 

I did not plan on growing any giant ones myself. I was just curious to know if it was just something specific to the Dorset Naga or if the occurrence of the giant ones was purely due to the competitions. 

Obviously disregarding the naturally small plants, nearly all peppers can reach the same size, given that they are in ideal growing circumstances?

No, different varieties come with different growth paterns. Some stay small, some become huge bushes and some (especially baccatums) shoot up..

If you're concerned about plants getting too big you could go for some of the dwarf varieties, not all of them are "ornamental" either.  For example Yucatan white habanero and murupi amarela are two C. chinense cultivars that stay small. 

I was actually surprised at how fast C. chacoense grew (height-wise that is) ...took two months to germinate and now is the tallest of all my seedlings lol

PWH%2520ulkona.jpg

Peruvian%2520white%2520upside%2520down.jpg

Peruvian white habanero. The first shot shows a plant like a bonchi but it has been growing with minimal nutrition in a small pot.
The lower pic is fro a hydro plant upside down so the pods are easy to pick. ~2000 pods during the season. Quite a difference depending the growing media.
The bucket has some T Moruga Scorpions.

In the ground my Dorset Naga's were approx. 4" tall. Most of the naga's I've grown look and grow very similar and get about the same size. My Naga Morich plants were pod producing machines. My Dorset's were abundant producers also. Somewhere I read that they were the same plant but the pods looked bigger on the Dorset so I don't think that is correct. Easy growing plants they both were.
  Nice white hab Bluesman. I like growing those "jellybean" plants. The "bonchi" is what I was trying to do with mine but I killed it when I let it get too dry. That upside down hydro plant---CRAZY! Picking the little jellybeans is a pain in the ass! I had a guy last year that just wanted to buy those pods. And he was wanting to dicker me down on the price per pound for what he bought! People!

Back