• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

how big should plants be before planting outside?

I am anxious to plant my plants outside and get some real growth on them. Im probably about halfway hardened off, and the plants range from about an inch to 2 inches tall.

At what height should they be planted outdoors, in non container settings (straight into the ground)?

As long as they are properly hardened it really doesnt matter. Think about it, when peppers grow in the wild, they are not started indoors before reaching a certain height, they are outside from the time they sprout. There are also members on here that live in places the weather allows them to grow year round. Some of them start their seeds outside and never bring them indoors.

if you have lots of nasty pests, wait until they're a bit bigger so they can handle caterpillars, aphids, slugs, etc. until you can help fend them off. we have lots of tent worms and slugs and they'll devastate tiny pepper plants before i can do my daily status check or even overnight.

AGREE - size doesn't matter, proper hardening does.

can be used in other life applications as well.

sounds good though, thanks all. I hope to get these into the ground this weekend then. i think ill get my wildlife fence up first, then get the peppers in their places.

It depends ! If you manage to plant them in Antarctica, then you have to feed them with seal grease for at least 6 months ... otherwise it doesn't matter.

My seeds start outside and stay outside but I start them in eggs and grow in pots, hehe. That said, I have 6 ingrounds but not sure for how long, I need the space for some nons and I have enough potted peppers for our uses ^_^

Back