• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How close is too close?

Hi all,

I just ordered a few different seeds:  Carolina Reaper, Chocolate Ghost, Moruga Trinidad Scorpion, Ghost, Chocolate Habanero, Golden Hab., and some Jalapeno seeds.

I'm going to plant them next year, but was wondering how far apart should I plant them?

The reason I ask is, I bought some Bonnie plants this year from Lowe's, as I've never had a garden, and wanted a quick and fun tiny pepper garden. I bought a jalapeno plant and banana pepper plant and planted them in the same pot. I've read that they wouldn't cross pollinate, could be wrong. I also bought some purple bell peppers, havasu, and habanero plants. 

The jalapeno plant took off right away and popped off three nice peppers. I sheared one off, washed it off and bit into it. It tasted exactly like a bell pepper. It had a bit of heat to it, but over all the taste was exactly like a bell pepper. I figured I may have picked a little early, so I waited about 2-2 1/2 weeks, sheared another one off and exactly like the first. Green pepper taste, with a bit of heat.  Sheared off my banana pepper, same thing.  The other peppers have yielded anything yet, but are coming along nicely.

Now, I know that cross pollination will not effect this years peppers, but it will the seedling of the year after. So, I'm thinking that maybe I got a few unlucky cross pollinated plants. 

Anyway, the question I have really pertains to my seeds for next year. I've read various feet, yards, ect. But figured I'd ask you nice folks. I just don't want my seeds the year after next to be cross pollinated. 

Anyway, the question I have really pertains to my seeds for next year. I've read various feet, yards, ect. But figured I'd ask you nice folks. I just don't want my seeds the year after next to be cross pollinated.

https://www.southernexposure.com/isolation-distance-requirements-for-peppers-ezp-34.html

Isolation distance recommendations are based on the intended use of the seed. In other words, what degree of purity is sufficient for the intended purpose? For example, for certified seed production, very high purity is required (virtually 100%). Many large commercial growers of pepper seeds isolate sweet bell peppers by 1/4 mile, and hot varieties are isolated from sweet or hot varieties by one mile (1,7). For home gardeners wishing to save their own seed, the recommended isolation distances are much smaller. Several seed saving guides have recommended distances ranging from several feet (5) to 50 feet (2) to separation by the length of the garden or as far as practical (2,8). In these cases, the seed is being saved primarily for one's own use or for exchange among a few individuals, not for commercial purposes where there is potential for widespread distribution. In preservation efforts, such as that being undertaken by the Seed Savers Exchange (SSE), there is always the potential for widespread dissemination of the seed: therefore a greater attention to seed purity is essential.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

https://www.southernexposure.com/isolation-distance-requirements-for-peppers-ezp-34.html

Isolation distance recommendations are based on the intended use of the seed. In other words, what degree of purity is sufficient for the intended purpose? For example, for certified seed production, very high purity is required (virtually 100%). Many large commercial growers of pepper seeds isolate sweet bell peppers by 1/4 mile, and hot varieties are isolated from sweet or hot varieties by one mile (1,7). For home gardeners wishing to save their own seed, the recommended isolation distances are much smaller. Several seed saving guides have recommended distances ranging from several feet (5) to 50 feet (2) to separation by the length of the garden or as far as practical (2,8). In these cases, the seed is being saved primarily for one's own use or for exchange among a few individuals, not for commercial purposes where there is potential for widespread distribution. In preservation efforts, such as that being undertaken by the Seed Savers Exchange (SSE), there is always the potential for widespread dissemination of the seed: therefore a greater attention to seed purity is essential.
Thank you, I've read a few places saying up to a mile. 

The jalapeno plant could be a Tam jalapeno. Grew them two seasons ago and was thoroughly disappointed with the bell pepper taste.

My first peppers i grew from seed were jalapenos i bought a pack of seeds from walmart threw the packet didnt read wat variety it was just figured it be like any other jalapeno.... wrong. They are like you describe almost sweet greeny taste and tiny. I thought they were green at first but i have let them turn red n same thing

Back