• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How critical is pH?

Well it appears your enlightening stroll through the hydro shop has made you quite the ph expert. When you find the pepper that will grow in soil with a ph below 5 or above 8 please let me know. I want it. Then this whole forum could be axed! No need to feed at all. Or hell, sprout the seed right out of the miracle gro itself!

I don't know why you waste your time trying to explain things to this guy. He knows everything, or at least that is how he comes across.
Every forum has at least one.

I don't know why you waste your time trying to explain things to this guy. He knows everything, or at least that is how he comes across.
Every forum has at least one.

Explain what? Grow peppers "IN" a ph of 5-8 or did I really say that, well, lets take a look.....

yea hydroponics youhave to have a low ph like 5.5-5.9 for nutrients to be uptaken. In potting soil I found that even watering with a ph of 5-8 plants still thrived, the advantage of using soil.

Notice how I said "watering", not the ph of the grow media!!!! So really I never said that I hate to say.

I also then quoted.

Yup and even ph of 5-8 is an exaggeration. So with your water being at nine it is time for some ph down, There are very cheap options.

In a PH balanced potting mix watering with a wide range of ph would be ok as to hydroponics. that is what I said.

Please explain some advantages of container soil growing as to hydroponics?

Hydroponics grows plants way faster and uses way less nutrients and water. Why would anyone want to grow in soil? I can tell you the ph buffering capacity of soil is a huge one.

While pH may or may not be a problem in your containers with soil it is always a good idea to check it to eliminate that as a potential problem.
I think it is especially true when you grow in containers smaller than 10 gallon as the nutrients are used up faster and heavy watering can potentially change the pH.

I wont go on anymore but..."Hydroponics grows plants way faster and uses way less nutrients and water. Why would anyone want to grow in soil? I can tell you the ph buffering capacity of soil is a huge one."

Is that not a big advantage of soil?

Like I said, maybe I am lucky to have just good tap water. some may have tap water that has a very high ph and may really need adjusting. I agree with what you said, the smaller pot will have less ph buffer with a large root bound plant.

You continue to state your opinions as fact. Try using "in my opinion" or "i believe" instead of "its a proven fact"

Please explain what is an opinion? I said that soil has more of a ph buffer then hydro making it easier to grow in. THAT IS A FACT.

So at your request here it goes.....

"in my opinion" you should look into this a little more

"i believe" there is not much more I could say but you try growing in both hydroponics and soil to understand what I am saying and not come on here and say i am stating opinions.

O here we go I WILL BRING UP A SOURCE FROM ONLINE
Hydroponic Disadvantages:

"Hydroponics also generally requires much more work from the gardener. On top of regular garden duties, hydroponic gardeners must check pH & TDS, fill and drain water levels in the reservoirs and also administer nutrients more frequently."

Please read more http://joemacho.hubp...oponics-vs-Soil

The Topic was How critical is PH. I then stated facts about with hydroponics ph is very critical. Soil has strong ph buffers. I know container gardeners that have been growing for 30+ and they NEVER ph there water. Is there something they have to learn? The fact is how many gardeners go out and get soil, some containers, and some veggie starts ph adjust their water? In fact I cant really find too many? I think some may over think it too much. Unless your water source is abnormally high in ph you do not need to adjust water for soil growing, the biggest advantage of soil growing.

Seriously. Ph is important. So is water quality, light quality, soil quality, air quality, the quality of the attention to each plant payed by the grower and a million other things. Why are we fighting about this? Obsessing on a grain of sand, one can't see the whole beach.

Not to confuse things even more but here goes:

In hydroponics, pH is important, notably that plants like it a bit more acidic than soil/growth media growing, but I would say that solution temperature is even more critical than pH. When growing DWC, which seems to be one of the most sensitive methods when it comes to pH and temperature, I could maintain excellent results from pH 4.8 - 6.4 from looking at my notes. However, performance increased notably when the water temperature dropped incrementally down to 64 degrees F (!!!!!). I could get it colder than that and eventually settled on an avg. daytime temp of 68 F.

When you think about it, it makes sense: colder liquids hold more dissolved oxygen. So the cooler the solution, the most oxygen is available to the roots. By feeling the mid-60 degree F water with your finger tips, it really feels cold, especially with air temperatures in the high 80's. But it really worked time after time, outperforming a control tank kept at 73 F.

Apologies if I hijacked/tangented this thread.

Back