• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

How did you become a chillihead?

In my third year at University i happened upon an organic products fair on campus. As i was walking around, loving the sheer variety of stuff available, a seed vendor caught my eye. One of the packages with a picture on it in particular interested me and so i bought them. These were my first peppers - Chinese 5-Colors. Once i started growing i saw peppers everywhere, and couldn't get enough. This whole venture brought me into a world of spiciness that id never DREAMED of, and i am soooo glad that i randomly picked up those seeds that day.

I grew up with chile's and hot sauces, fresh and bottled. Growing up there was always some kinda piquin/chiltepin type chile growing in the yard, my parents would plant seeds from chiles their friends gave them. My first memory of eating a chile pod was when i was 6, it was a really small type of piquin, i was trying to show how tough was; It kicked my ass. By the time was 14 i was making my own fresh hot sauces. About eight years ago my friend gave me a bunch of piquins and i saved some seeds and grew them myself. A few years later my sister gave me some manzano peppers, i saved seed from them and later when crazy buying all these exotic type of pepper seeds and growing them. I grow way to many chile plants every year and give so many away. I still love the first chile i started with the piquins. Yes I'm Mexican. 

Whe I was in the millitary, in a small operations base (about 200 operatives) our chef was Indian.  And he cooked curry at least twice a week!  And it was inedible to me - so he explained that if I sprinkle sugar on it or put jam on the rotis then it will be better.  I eventually didn't need the sweet stuff and began seeking out hotter and hotter foods.  Back in civilain land I found I just couldn't live without the heat.  Now I grow my own sheeeeit and make my own hot sauce - feeding the fire, feeding the fire.

An old friend of mine came to visit a couple of years ago and brought an Aji Amarillo plant as a gift. So it's all her fault ;) . I had to have more plants and seeds and lights and growtent and heated propagators and dehydrator and and and and....
I really blame her for leading me astray :party:

Got hooked on Franks Red Hot. After it became hot as ketchup I had to get my fix for spice by trying harder things. I became addicted, always chasing hotter and hotter stuff. I had no dealers in my area for the harder stuff so I had to figure out how to manufacture my own. Does this mean that Franks Red Hot is a gateway drug?

Nulle said:
An old friend of mine came to visit a couple of years ago and brought an Aji Amarillo plant as a gift. So it's all her fault ;) . I had to have more plants and seeds and lights and growtent and heated propagators and dehydrator and and and and....
I really blame her for leading me astray :party:
Heheheh! Yep! And I got started some years ago after searching for new interesting food stuff to grow and finding a danish forum about chilis. I asked those guys about growing chilis outdoors in cold little Denmark, and a friendly lady sent me seeds of a few early types. After harvesting loads of chilis that first year I was hooked!

well i've always loved spicy foods and I used to be a kitchen manager and since i was the only one who could take the heat the owner would use me as his test subject on getting his hot wings the hottest he could. So one day he got a bottle of i think it was Dave's Insantiy sauce and I tried about 20 other sauces for him before this one and none were very hot at all and me being the dumbass i am i figured this one wouldnt be hot either so i took a spoon full and shoved it in my mouth and BAM! I was on FIRE! At that point that was the hottest thing i have ever ate in my life, my eyes were watering, my nose was running, my mouth felt like the devil made love to it over and over again and my belly felt angry at me! Then I started seeing Ted's videos with him eating these peppers along with other people and started doing research and found out there was a new hottest pepper in the world called a "Moruga Scorpion" so i asked around and asked ted where i could get some good sauces and peppers from he point me out to a few people so I tried volcanic peppers ordered some sauces from him and along with the sauces he sent me like a lb of morugas and a lb of brain strains along with the sauces i ordered which was wonderful. The very 1st fresh superhot I tried was the brain strain and me again being the idiot just popped a whole one in my mouth! After a few bite my face went from coo and confident to OMFG what did I just do!? Oh yea and that was the day I also learn u need to be careful and watch how u handle peppers and wash ur hands thoroughly before u go to the bathroom or touch ur eyes!

Tecolote said:
I grew up with chile's and hot sauces, fresh and bottled. Growing up there was always some kinda piquin/chiltepin type chile growing in the yard, my parents would plant seeds from chiles their friends gave them. My first memory of eating a chile pod was when i was 6, it was a really small type of piquin, i was trying to show how tough was; It kicked my ass. By the time was 14 i was making my own fresh hot sauces. About eight years ago my friend gave me a bunch of piquins and i saved some seeds and grew them myself. A few years later my sister gave me some manzano peppers, i saved seed from them and later when crazy buying all these exotic type of pepper seeds and growing them. I grow way to many chile plants every year and give so many away. I still love the first chile i started with the piquins. Yes I'm Mexican. 
Chiltepins are what got me into the hotter stuff.  I love the sonoran native varieties.

I always liked sambal to put over stuff, but only after I tried the Trattoria Alfredo Steinofen Pizza Inferno, a pizza with hot peppers on it, a few years ago, I got hooked on eating considerably hotter stuff.
Currently I make pasta for four days with about 6 to 8 chopped up adjuma pods in them, about 1.5 to 2 of those per meal.
It's quite hot, but I can manage.
I want to get more superhots, then I can use less pepper for the same heat, thus affecting the taste of the pasta less.

I was inspired by Ted Barrus, aka. The Fire Breathing Idiot on Youtube. He inspired me to eat spicy foods and record my reviews on camera. It's fun to me, eating insanely hot peppers for the entertainment of viewers, and especially for my own entertainment too. 

It was a dare from my brother on who can add the most Tabasco on pizza
I then realized i like Tabasco and started consuming it in large quantities.....then the thought hit me
there must be more out there than Tabasco so the experimenting started.
(maybe a support group is in order........Hallo my name is Francois and I'm addicted to The Burn :fireball:

Kinda weird actually. When my wife was pregnant with my son nearly 13 years ago it was me that had the cravings. I wanted stuff salty and really hot. I'd buy hot sauce and it was all way to mild. Finally I found the hot ghost pepper and scorpion sauces. Now I prefer the habenero sauces because of the flavor, but the super hots when I need a heat fix. I actually bought a bottle the other day of a generic hab sauce and had drank half of it straight from the bottle by the end of the day. Like a sippy cup. I'm nuts, but at least my addiction is legal.

Rymerpt
Kinda weird actually. When my wife was pregnant with my son nearly 13 years ago it was me that had the cravings. I wanted stuff salty and really hot. I'd buy hot sauce and it was all way to mild. Finally I found the hot ghost pepper and scorpion sauces. Now I prefer the habenero sauces because of the flavor, but the super hots when I need a heat fix. I actually bought a bottle the other day of a generic hab sauce and had drank half of it straight from the bottle by the end of the day. Like a sippy cup. I'm nuts, but at least my addiction is legal.

Rymerpt

There are two sources of heat that I remember fondly which probably brought me here.

The first is Fireball candy. Basically, a cinnamon flavored jaw breaker. My dad used to buy these on rare occasion and would always share with us. Probably the earliest I realized my love for spice.

The second is the crushed red pepper that cones with pizza. I could never get enough of it!

Back