• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How do Chocolate Bhuts ripen?

Hello all,

I am growing a choc bhut for the first time this year and a few are starting to turn red. Do they do this and then darken up or is it not a choc bhut after all? The only other bhut I am growing is a yellow, no reds planted.

Thanks all,

Chad

If it's just starting to show a little reddish color around the stem area it could be on it's way to becoming brown. If it's showing a lot of red then it probably isn't chocolate.

Musky,

I got them out of a seed trading parcel, I think, I actually had it labled as a douglah, I didnt think I had any choc bhuts sprout, however the one douglah I have growing looks completely different, has the standard douglah shape, I got those seeds from Judy. I was hoping she had some douglah sr seeds in there but I knew that was unlikely, all her seeds have allways grown exactly as pictured. Maybe it was mislabled in the seed trading parcel, but they dont all look like bhuts either, a little shorter and fatter than a standard bhut, most have the shape of a choc bhut, wrinkled bumby and sunken in, but some are fat stubby things too, maybe its a cross? good plant though heavy with peppers, I will get some pics up tomorrow when my daughter brings back the camera

Thanks,

Chad

OK got some pics

dad123.jpg
"

dad119.jpg
">

dad131.jpg

What do you guys think a bhut cross maybe? something else?

Thanks,

Chad

Ha, i have one Chocolate Hab this year that looks like that, only one plant of of three turned out like that. They even look like gnarly Bhut crosses like yours. Got mine from TheChilliMan, he must have had open pollinated seed.

My Jamaican Hot Chocolates all look normal however...

I'd hold onto seeds from that plant, i know i will, they look really interesting.

Edit: sorry, just noticed, i read the thread title as chocolate "hab", and not chocolate bhut. Please ignore my comments above...

not an expert here but i do not think that is a chocolate bhut. from what i have seen in pics is the pod will go from green to brown(maybe hints of red) but not like your poeppers. they look tasty nonetheless.

Back