• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding How do i know if my pepper have turned T1-T5?

How do i know if my pepper have turned T1-T5? i have been cross pollinating my peppers for about 3 years now mostly using carolina reaper pollen on weaker chilies but i dont really see much difference other then this big red pepper that is supposed to be green unless the seed vendor in instanbul i bough it of told me wrong, could it be cross polinated with my other thai chillies and carolina reaper? as the shape of this red pepper is a bit wrinkly like carolina is.

The taste and flavor is a bit not sure how to say it but at start its kind of sweet flavor and then 20sec later it gets spicy.

Do i have to use the seeds of a cross polinated plant to make it into T2+ or will pollen from another plant turn the pepper into another Tier? i have been using the pollen of the same plant for 3 years or so now.

IMG_6741 (1) (1).jpg

FD748F6F-B05A-404F-B1CA-E0869914A692 (1).jpg

52C32165-CFD2-4071-988C-C358552AFC91.jpg

A126C71F-E525-4F70-B423-E48E2EBC187F.jpg

Nice greenhouse and peppers, Sinder!

I'm still not sure I completely understand your question, but I'll take a shot at it.

The standard methodology for stabilizing hybrids is crossed Mother and Father produce seeds that grow F1 (T1?) plants. Those plants should be self-pollinated (pollenate each plant using its own pollen) to produce seeds for F2 plants. Etc. until stabilized, generally held to be around F8.

If you cross Mother x Father to produce F1 and then somewhere along the line you use the mother or father variety to pollinate one of the filial generation plants, this is backcrossing. A use of backcrossing might be crossing a reaper with a yellow habanero to get a yellow color, then having sequential backcrosses with the reaper to obtain more reaper characteristics, e.g., heat, bumpiness, and a stinger, while retaining the yellow color of the hab.

How are you crossing the peppers? All you emasculating the flowers prior to them opening and before introducing the pollen from the father plant?

Also, that big red pepper looks a lot like a variety I was send from Istanbul, though mine isn't hot. As it ripens it transitions from green through brown, yellow, and orange, before finally turning red. It's commonly harvested and used green, but I prefer to let them ripen red or at least closer to red.

Nice greenhouse and peppers, Sinder!

I'm still not sure I completely understand your question, but I'll take a shot at it.

The standard methodology for stabilizing hybrids is crossed Mother and Father produce seeds that grow F1 (T1?) plants. Those plants should be self-pollinated (pollenate each plant using its own pollen) to produce seeds for F2 plants. Etc. until stabilized, generally held to be around F8.

If you cross Mother x Father to produce F1 and then somewhere along the line you use the mother or father variety to pollinate one of the filial generation plants, this is backcrossing. A use of backcrossing might be crossing a reaper with a yellow habanero to get a yellow color, then having sequential backcrosses with the reaper to obtain more reaper characteristics, e.g., heat, bumpiness, and a stinger, while retaining the yellow color of the hab.

How are you crossing the peppers? All you emasculating the flowers prior to them opening and before introducing the pollen from the father plant?

Also, that big red pepper looks a lot like a variety I was send from Istanbul, though mine isn't hot. As it ripens it transitions from green through brown, yellow, and orange, before finally turning red. It's commonly harvested and used green, but I prefer to let them ripen red or at least closer to red.
i use like a small cup and shake the pollen from carolina into the cup and then manually pollinate the other chillies using the pollen in the cup with a qtip, i guess its not 100% like others do with cutting of the flowers petals before pollinating, but most of the pollen i use to pollinate is pollen from the carolina, specialy during winter when i have to take it inside due to winter cold, but the peppers i have is the same plant so i guess theyre all T1 still then?

Well, if you pollinate a mother non-reaper in the manner using reaper pollen and get something different than either parent, that's an F1/T1. If you then grow the F1/T1 seeds and pollenate that plant as the mother in the same manner again and grow it out, it's going to be very difficult to know whether you have either (i) an F2/T2, or (ii) a F1/T1 backcrossed to reaper. If you want an F2/T2 with certainty, net some flowers so each flower can only be pollinated with its own pollen and the resulting seeds will be your F2/T2. Select, repeat, and stabilize! :)

Last edited:
Well, if you pollinate a mother non-reaper in the manner using reaper pollen and get something different than either parent, that's an F1/T1. If you then grow the F1/T1 seeds and pollenate that plant as the mother in the same manner again and grow it out, it's going to be very difficult to know whether you have either (i) an F2/T2, or (ii) a F1/T1 backcrossed to reaper. If you want an F2/T2 with certainty, net some flowers so each flower can only be pollinated with its own pollen and the resulting seeds will be your F2/T2. Select, repeat, and stabilize! :)
Thanks, how do i know if the plant is a father or mother plant tho? i only have 1 carolina and the rest is weaker form of chili plants from 10.000-100.000 scoville

With peppers, there are no male or female flowers; all flowers have both ova and pollen. So "mother" simply means the plant that grows the pod and the father is the pollen donor - which means the father will be the same plant as the mother when a plant self-pollinates. Peppers generally have a high rate of self-pollination, which is why emasculating the mother plant flower (opening a closed flower and removing the anthers from the filaments) is so helpful in being confident you'll achieve cross-pollination when you plan to make the F1 cross.

With peppers, there are no male or female flowers; all flowers have both ova and pollen. So "mother" simply means the plant that grows the pod and the father is the pollen donor - which means the father will be the same plant as the mother when a plant self-pollinates. Peppers generally have a high rate of self-pollination, which is why emasculating the mother plant flower (opening a closed flower and removing the anthers from the filaments) is so helpful in being confident you'll achieve cross-pollination when you plan to make the F1 cross.
ah i see, so removing the petals is kind of important then if i want to be sure its cross pollinated, i guess il have to start doing that thanks.

Back