• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding How do people cross peppers?

LordHill said:
If you want a plant that grows multiple types of peppers, you should look into grafting. You can make a pepper that grows all the varieties you want. It wont be a true plant, seeds wont regrow the plant, but it can be fun to play with anyway

From my reading up on crossing peppers, I figure it goes like this..

F1- hybrid
F2- 1 out of 12 plants will remain the hybrid, the rest revert to the parents
F3- 1 out of 6 plants will remain the hybrid, the rest revert to the parents
F4- 1 out of 3 plants will remain hybrid, the rest will revert to the parents

And down the line to F8 which by my understanding at that point will be rougly 98% of the plants will remain the hybrid. Which is why 8th gen is considered stable.

I am no expert, this is just what I have gathered from various readings. The F1 is consistant, but to have good odds of getting an actual F2 you have to grow at least a dozen plants, and that is no guarantee. Each generation after that it is another generation stable thus easier to grow the hybrid, but it takes 8 grows to "guarantee"
Ooo grafting is something I will look up. Thanks for the break down of info. Wouldn't it be better to go further than F8 just so that you can get rid of that 2% that can revert back to one of the parents?

randyp said:
I like to dance naked around the plants during a full moon while shooting off fireworks.They seem to get in the mood to mix it up a bit.I dont run inside until I see Red flashing lights heading down my block. :onfire:
Wow you do that to!!!! Hahaha hahaha

Yes, more generations will lessen the 2%.. it will never be 100% because half of 2 is 1%. Half of 1 is .5%. Half of that is .25% and so on.. by that pace F12 would be 99.875% stable.. but 98% at F8 chance is pretty good. If someone plants 100 peppers I dont think they would be terribly upset if 2 of them were untrue.

When crossing peppers, if your two parents are homogeneous, meaning the are stable lines without genetic diversity, then all your F1 plants will all be the same, producing the same peppers. If both or one parents is already a hybrid, your F1 plants will produce multiple of plants, depending on how unstable the parents are. In F1s the most dominant genes between the parents get expressed. With to stable lines crosses, for each gene spot, the most dominant gene between the two will take over, gaining whatever trait from the parent with that dominant gene. When unstable parents are used, their are multiple dominant genes that will show up in multiple of offspring.
When you plant the seeds from your F1 plants, the F2 seeds, you will start to see the genetic diversity of the two parents. This is where the recessive gene come out and you will see genes hidden in both the parents, along with traits both parents have, sometimes both in one plant. At the F2 stage, the more plants you have the more likely you find a plant resembling the F1.
F3 plants are going to continue the variance in genetics, and is the beginning of the narrowing down the traits for the line. Growing out more plants will give you a better chance of finding again the plant you chose at F2 stage.
This continues until the hybrid has been selected thru 8 to 10 generations, at which all seeds will produce the same plants, with always a small chance of a off phenotype.

I have 46 F2 plants growing of a cross I made right now. I have about 4 plants out of the 46 that resemble either of the parents. Every other plant is a mixture of the two, or something that neither parents resembles, from those hidden genes, and no two plants have produced the same pods. There are similar plants, but each different in one way.

Reactions: HAJ
Does it matter which pepper you use as male, and which you use as female? For example, if I wanted to cross two peppers that have widely different seed sizes, is it desirable to have a larger seed for germination? Will the dominant traits of the female pepper be more likely to come out? Or say I want to cross a mild pepper with a very hot pepper. Would it be better to make the milder pepper the female so that the resulting hybrid seeds would germinate faster?

Fascinating stuff.

I have plans on making a New Mexico Chile variet. By hybridizen to Various ew Mexico Chile varietie, as wEll
as making a hot variety by crossing over to right chili.

LordHill said:
Yes, more generations will lessen the 2%.. it will never be 100% because half of 2 is 1%. Half of 1 is .5%. Half of that is .25% and so on.. by that pace F12 would be 99.875% stable.. but 98% at F8 chance is pretty good. If someone plants 100 peppers I dont think they would be terribly upset if 2 of them were untrue.
especially if it is a great tasting pepper!  Whole new stabilization project!  haha

LordHill said:
^ Silver Lining
Always gotta stay positive!   Last year I had a strange cross on some Hab Plants, but 1 or 2 of 7 died.   Well because they were a cross they had that "Hybrid Production" , and the flavor profile didn't change all that much.   So it ended up working out.   

LordHill said:
If you want a plant that grows multiple types of peppers, you should look into grafting. You can make a pepper that grows all the varieties you want. It wont be a true plant, seeds wont regrow the plant, but it can be fun to play with anyway

From my reading up on crossing peppers, I figure it goes like this..

F1- hybrid
F2- 1 out of 12 plants will remain the hybrid, the rest revert to the parents
F3- 1 out of 6 plants will remain the hybrid, the rest revert to the parents
F4- 1 out of 3 plants will remain hybrid, the rest will revert to the parents

And down the line to F8 which by my understanding at that point will be rougly 98% of the plants will remain the hybrid. Which is why 8th gen is considered stable.

I am no expert, this is just what I have gathered from various readings. The F1 is consistant, but to have good odds of getting an actual F2 you have to grow at least a dozen plants, and that is no guarantee. Each generation after that it is another generation stable thus easier to grow the hybrid, but it takes 8 grows to "guarantee"

I'm not sure what you read about reverting to parents.. It's actually about stability of the resulting pod as a % of chance to be different in the next offspring rather than a chance at being like one of the parents..

There is a chance to fully stabilise a pepper in only a few generations should you be immensely lucky and want to have traits that a predominantly dominant.. but for highly recessive traits it will always take longer, and you wont know that your peppers stable until you start to see generation after generation of the same results..

As a reference to your F# chart there.. 

As an example " F4- 1 out of 3 plants will remain hybrid, the rest will revert to the parents "   F4 will actually mean that about 1 out of 3 plants will maintain the traits from the previous parent 'self pollinated' and the other 2 plants will have a differing pheno type unlike the previous 'self pollinated' parent.

Eg 1 might be yellow like the previous F3 parent and the other 3 are red like one of the original parents.

Back