• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning How do you clone?

Bhuter said:
Thank you, Al! I borrowed a cloner once from a friend...and that worked. But these cubes look simple. How long does it usually take for a clone to root?

Adam,

I believe it may depend on the particular plant, but I usually see roots emerge in two weeks or less.

The clone I started 12 days ago:

IMG_20180608_155917706.jpg

I will give a two or three more days, then into potting mix.

By the way, the two clones I showed here are from the overwintered Red CPR.

I cut fresh and bendy new growth branches and then take off the new growth nodes, and all the leaves except for 3 or 4 full sized leaves. Cut the leaves in half because I think it helps cut down on water loss through transpiration. Take a clean razor blade and cut vertical scores into the bottom of the stem. Put them in tap water in old bottles by the window. Every day or two I take them out of the water and rub the bottom of the stem off to get all that weird goop that forms with a cotton cloth. In about a week or so they usually sprout some roots. You can leave them in the water for months with roots and they'll stay alive. Some root faster than others. Took 3 clones from a goat's weed plant last week and all 3 have roots already. 

*BUMP*

A topic like this wouldn't hurt my feelings to be stickified. I'm hoping to grow a number of Rocotos this next season and they don't seem to germinate from seed as readily up here as the other subspecies, I'm wondering if a cloning effort might actually have a better result than trying to get those little black buggers to go....

stettoman said:
*BUMP*

A topic like this wouldn't hurt my feelings to be stickified. I'm hoping to grow a number of Rocotos this next season and they don't seem to germinate from seed as readily up here as the other subspecies, I'm wondering if a cloning effort might actually have a better result than trying to get those little black buggers to go....
Rocotos are very easy to clone, just put a branch in water and in a week you will have roots.

AJ hasn't been on here since July 13th.  Has anyone heard from him?  I read that there were some medical issues preventing him from sending peppers in July/August.

Hope he is alright.

Thanks! I don't do Facebook, so anything that happens there, I miss.

Good to hear they were busy.
DontPanic said:
He still seems pretty active on Facebook.

From the sound of it, they've had busy summer shipping peppers.

alkhall said:
I dip the cutting in cloning solution, place in a RootRiot plug, put the plug in a shot glass, fill the shot glass with water, set it in a moderately lit location. Refill with water as necessary.

I'm doing this exact thing, had four Rocotos and a LO Thai cutting going since Oct 22, still waiting on root one. I did lose one cutting, a Giant Yellow Rocoto cutting, but it was full of blossom nodes (they ALL are on that plant).

Am I missing an incantation or Ancient Chinese Secret that triggers the rooting sequence? The cuttings appear as healthy as they started, except the Thai, which actually had no leaves in October, now has a half dozen mini clusters of leaves.

Only difference in my setup is that my shot glasses set upon a heat mat and the rooting compound is a powder: http://www.gardensafe.com/Products/Specialty-Products/Garden-Safe-Brand-Takeroot.aspx

I'm intent on getting one of these little bastiges to take. My suspicion is that a plant grown from a cutting takes less time to get to work making peppers, and peppers be my goal, right?

Right?

One of my cuttings "fell over". I was surprised to find that a half inch or more of stem had literally disolved. The cutting was from very fresh growth, there was only tapwater and Root Riot cube in the shot glass. *and root hormone*

What went wrong?

20181201_074023.jpg

And why do my uploaded pics want to post sideways?

stettoman said:
One of my cuttings "fell over". I was surprised to find that a half inch or more of stem had literally disolved.  , there was only tapwater and Root Riot cube in the shot glass. *and root hormone*

What went wrong?

attachicon.gif
20181201_074023.jpg

And why do my uploaded pics want to post sideways?
`
Just a guess here on the dissolved stem, damping off? The reason being, "[background=#f7f7f7]The cutting was from very fresh growth," [/background]makes me think the stem was not "seasoned" enough, see below pic... As I said, just a guess.

vlZRpLR.jpg

And the sideways pix? If you're using an I-Phone it seems to be a known problem.> Why your iPhone pictures are sideways (and how to fix them)

`Hope this helps, NECM

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
Just a guess here on the dissolved stem, damping off? The reason being, "The cutting was from very fresh growth," makes me think the stem was not "seasoned" enough, see below pic... As I said, just a guess.

vlZRpLR.jpg

And the sideways pix? If you're using an I-Phone it seems to be a known problem.> Why your iPhone pictures are sideways (and how to fix them)

`Hope this helps, NECM

Way cool, helped very much on both counts!

I suspected the new growth might just be too new, and add to that it was all stem (not sure if a node needs to be part of the stem going into the rooting cube). What was left came out of the cube as a green goo, telling me that as a new branch it hadn't stabilized yet, but I like to have corroboration....The leaves looked healthy as hell the entire time, and none of my other cuttings appear to be breaking down, so I was a bit confused... :high:

I have a Samsung s6, but it's doing the same thing, so the web page helps much, thanks!

coir Sounds like maybe airation isnt really needed. I always thought it was because back in the day, read you had to change the water often. Figured it was for airation. Now thinking maybe it is overkill.
Aeriation in a ‘water’ technique increases the oxygen content of your reservoir, removes dissolved gasses, oxidizes dissolved metals/VOCs, removes CO2, reduces alkalinity and stabilizes ph. Coir is naturally aerating by its texture. You have to monitor the moisture level due a more rapid evaporation rate. A glass of water changed daily/every other with a two liter bottle over it is a good low tech avenue, too. Dipping your cutting in honey or willow water will encourage roots.

Way cool, helped very much on both counts!

I suspected the new growth might just be too new, and add to that it was all stem (not sure if a node needs to be part of the stem going into the rooting cube). What was left came out of the cube as a green goo, telling me that as a new branch it hadn't stabilized yet, but I like to have corroboration....The leaves looked healthy as hell the entire time, and none of my other cuttings appear to be breaking down, so I was a bit confused... :high:

I have a Samsung s6, but it's doing the same thing, so the web page helps much, thanks!
a fan will keep dampening off out of your grow pretty good by itself. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of your soil or whatever medium your using works, too.

Back