• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do you know good pepper pot compost?

lek said:
may be your tap water doesn't contain high level of chroline. you know that if you leave tap water for a day or leave it in direct sunlight, chroline will go away.
Most municipal water supplies don't use "chroline", but chloramine. (chlorine and ammonia)
It still doesn't make a damn bit of difference. I grew for a whole season, tap water vs. rain water only, side by side. Absolutely no difference. Each set of plants had the same strengths and weaknesses.
I'm all for keeping things simple and natural, but what you're preaching is a cult of sensational ignorance. And honestly, from what I've seen so far, you don't grow healthier plants than mine. Not even close...

lek said:
It's business.
That's BS. We have so many fertilizers it's insane. There is a product for everything. I can assure you, that if tomato wilt, blight, and fungi could be eliminated, somebody would be doing it half as well as it could be done, for twice as much money as it should cost. THAT is business.

solid7 said:
 I can assure you, that if tomato wilt, blight, and fungi could be eliminated, somebody would be doing it half as well as it could be done, for twice as much money as it should cost. THAT is business.
don't do it. if you eliminate all of it. nature will lose balance.  e.g. some bacteria that cause tomato wilt, they can be benificial bacteria for ginger.

DWB said:
Moving along to a growing test using official potting mix vs growing in cheap top soil + my compost + horse manure + perlite.

These two virtually identical Trinidad Scorpion plants are grown from seeds out of a mammoth randyp pod. The plant on right is now planted into the gallon pot with hanging tag and the ho'made pookie. Plants will remain in the inside grow chamber for a day or two and then move outside to the hillbilly winter shelter.

A few weeks should tell the tale.

(by volume)

Mix one:
75% Miracle Gro Nature's Care potting mix
25% perlite

Mix two:
38.5% Hyponex Earthgro topsoil ($1.67 for 40 pounds)
23% unground, unsifted horse manure
15.5% unground, unsifted compost
23% perlite

After three weeks out in the winter shelter, it looks like my home-brew soil mix with my compost and horse hockey is okay for the plant. They didn't grow much out there because it's cool. Again, the one with the hanging tag is the cheap home brew.

Back