• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

How do you make your burger patties?

Like THP, I'm an 80/20 guy. Hand formed. Seasoned with S&P, sometimes granulated garlic or Lawry's. Cooked on the grill or cast iron. Never ever smashed down with a spat. I like 'em loose, and medium rare. I don't add eggs, fillers or other hoohah, but will almost always top with whatever cheese I am fancy to at the time.

I will go out on a limb and say...for a good burger...the Foreman grill is a disease. Cast iron is the cure!

texas blues said:
Like THP, I'm an 80/20 guy. Hand formed. Seasoned with S&P, sometimes granulated garlic or Lawry's. Cooked on the grill or cast iron. Never ever smashed down with a spat. I like 'em loose, and medium rare. I don't add eggs, fillers or other hoohah, but will almost always top with whatever cheese I am fancy to at the time.

I will go out on a limb and say...for a good burger...the Foreman grill is a disease. Cast iron is the cure!

Testify!!!:woohoo:

Im all about buffalo meat as of late i don't use any beef products anymore. Bison is extremely lean and the taste to beef is almost the same.

I do use eggs and breadcrumbs - i keep the veggies out of the meat and add it to the burger later - I always cook my meat on the BBQ and or smoker. :cool:

Eggs and breadcrumbs are for meatballs. But hey, to each their own. :)

That's because you like lean burgers. Try ground chuck (80/20). No binding issues :). Since you're avoiding beef try your bison meat with a little ground pork added. This will add the fat needed for a good bind, and add a unique flavor.

Thanks for the advise i will give it a go and try to make an effort to post some pictures the next time i cook bison burgers with no fillers other then the added pork you suggested - I have some great tasting apple pork sausages that might do the trick.

I feel this would give a unique flavor but it would also get away from the point of using a super lean meat - reduced fat but still a good flavor.

No doubt ground chuck produces a #1 wonderful hamburger it just doesn't help the waistline. :)

Cool. Hey, I wasn't trying to tell you what to do, but I would like to see those bison/pork sausage burgers ;)

No doubt bison is healthier.

Have you tried ostrich?

I have only had once a few years ago i remember buying it in the butcher shop and how it was very red and very expensive it was!

Don't recall the taste of this meat at all as it was a long time ago and only a one time deal.

We recently got a specialty meat store in town a few months ago and i have been trying some of the different meats.

I really got hooked on the bison as you can tell but have not had the balls to try alligator/camel/kangaroo and others they have for sale - not just that but this meat can be too expensive to try other then a special occasion or one time go.

All this meat/hamburger talk is making me hungry! Going to have to make myself a little something before bed and call it quits as i have to work tomorrow and late here.

Now that you brought it up the apple pork/bison burger does sound good i will see what i can do tomorrow or the next day for BBQ and posting a few pictures on the forum.

:D

I sometimes add binders(breadcrumbs, soy protein) to lean meat like deer or moose but like THP said, you can just add some pork or even some veggy oil. IMO You really need some fat in your burgers, expecially when grilling. One time I tried a burger recipe with mayo in it and although it sounds strange it worked very good with lean venison

80/20 or 85/15 for me. Grilled or fried depends upon the mood. I get three patties to a pound, hand formed with the outer edges thicker than the middle. Going to try the thumb in the middle next time. Seasoned with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder occasionally Lawry's Seasoned Salt. Cooked to medium at most. I like 'em juicy. Slice of cheese goes on the last two minutes.

Any of you old timers remember back in the early 90's how adding a packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix was all the rage? I tried that the other day but used Beef and Onion soup mix. Daughter said she'd never eat another hamburger without it. Not bad.

patrick said:
Going to try the thumb in the middle next time.
Actually the method is a little different but hard to explain. Hold the patty in both hands with your thumbs in the center (top) and fingers in the center (bottom) and spin the burger in your hands until you have the slightly pushed in shape on both sides. Does that make sense? LOL.

8/2 is a good ratio for me Chuck is perfect for home grinding.I usually add sweet onoins and spice if I'm grinding my owm.(this is obviously the best way to go!)Good sea salt,Herbs,Pepper(s)Don't play with your meat,it could have serious consequences!(well,are you getting enough?)form the patties as gentle as possible.Grill or(boil fot Yankee fans)
If your working with store bought beef,no problem!Divide the meat into the anmount of the pad,as gentle as possible,separate the strands of the meat with yor fingers,leaving space for seasonings/spice.
Add such.I suggest xtra Chpotle powder!Gently form pad.Grill!
Unless your a Yankee Fan...
It's really a good thing to process these a day early,so you can marinade in a combination of your favorite homemade hotsauce and WorCjhestyirer/.
Use a hot grill and watch,touch the meat to feel for doneness.

I use 80/20 ground chuck when I make homeade hambergers.
I'm the type of person that doesent like to add much as far as ingredients go to beef.
I prefer to enjoy the natural taste of the beef and not mask it with too much seasonings.
Some salt and crushed black pepper is what I use mostly. But when I finally get some pods to ripen, I'll try some HOT burgers.

Some of us don't have grinders :P

Yeah I know. But I thought you meant grind it yourself by fresh.

How do you make your burger patties?

With Meat.

smilie_hamburger.gif

Back