• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How do you manage your seed collections?

As I rummaged through a bag full of assorted envelopes and baggies yesterday I came to wondering - how do Hot Pepper users with big seed collections manage their collections?
Specifically I’m wondering:
- for those of you who don’t grow every variety in your collection every year, how often do you grow out a variety to resave seed and ensure viability;
- what steps do you take (if any) to ensure purity when resaving seed;
- do you hold onto seed of the same varieties for multiple years in case of a failure/problem?
- do you collect from multiple plants/pods each year to ensure diversity within landrace/wild types?
- what do your collections/vaults look like practically? Baggies, boxes? Where are they stored?
I’m looking to try and work out a best practice for my own collection without generating unnecessary work…

I feel like one of those plastic fishing tackle or craft divider boxes would work well. Could print a label or sharpie on the individual cell for each seed variety and should keep them organized and separated. Easy to store and stack on top of, if it seals each cell well enough it could even be stored vertically for less space in the closet or pantry.

I do germination test every winter & decide what peppers I must grow for seed.
2" X 3" baggies inside a small paper envelope both labeled by year and variety.
I keep them in airtight ammo cans. I try to collect seeds from first ripe pods not late season pods.

Shot of isolation of plants, I expect a new mystery pepper every now and then, makes for some interesting pods LOL.

Last edited:
I keep the seeds in small zip-lock bags and label them with relevant data (variety, year and code).
Then I have two freezer bags. In one I keep seeds from the last 3 years. In the other bag I keep older seeds.
I store the bags inside a plastic box and the box in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator (like a russian dolls 😂).
I usually grow more than one plant per variety and save seeds from each plant.
All the seeds I save are from isolated flowers to protect variety.

Thought I’d share where I ended up….this is a crafting storage box designed for holding beads and stuff….
010C9C5E-3768-4A0D-AAC3-6F733051CB18.jpeg
82F7D245-D317-479B-AF55-65A0FF80F300.jpeg

Back