• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting How do you use your harvest?

Or, what's the best way to preserve your peppers? Pickled, dried, powdered, do you process it all into sauce?

Everything that I cannot use fresh this year will be converted to powder, I have become a big fan of powdered chiles.

I use mine as an addition to my pickles to spice them up and also put them in salsa. Pepper jelly / jam works great as well. Any that I have left over I freeze. The frozen ones I use mostly in cooking so I haven't noticed too much of a mushy problem. This coming year I plan on having a lot more so I hope to convert them to powders and sauce as well.

I freeze them; Dry them and powder them; and pickle them and make salsa out of them. Of course I eat them and stuff them and frie them and boil them and make hot salt out of them. Did I forget anything? Oh ya I Ferment them
Enjoy---Pepper---do them all the way you can

Best use so far is pizza.  I bring a bag of cut up peppers to a pizza place near me, they cook it right into an already-awesome pizza, then I fry my face with deliciousness.

Well, the possibilities are all variations on stuffing mace into a sensitive orifice, but it never really gets old.

I imagine I'll probably freeze a large portion of anything I get due to time/effort involved.

Sidebar question, do you save any of your seeds? I was reading that they should dry to less than 8% moisture content (ie. not flexible) for best results, then store in a cool, dry place.

speaking of harvests...

BA67E084-FABD-46EB-96A7-5D7E34C52B3E_zpsajgbcsac.jpg

Red Congo below and 7 pot Primo above. Coin is quarter size

All of the above
Yes, they get mushy thawed from frozen, but that doesn't hurt them for cooking or sauces----even drying them to flakes or powder.
I tend to smoke a lot of them.
Make pepper salt, dried powders and flakes, try a ferment, thaw one out and mix with some mayo on a sammich.
Endless possibilities.

Currently, thawing out a different one every day out of my freezer stash, and having it on a sammich, as well as ripe pods out of my winter grow as they come available.

Won't the oil from the peppers break down the fat in the cheese/butter, causing it to become a goopy mess?

I split the fresh pods, deseed, then freeze. Frozen pods slice easier than thawed pods. Splitting them beforehand cuts down on some of the mushiness when thawed. Frozen peppers can be smoked, dried, then powdered. Mostly we thaw them to use them in sauces, slaws, and powders but we are going to experiment with pickling this season. We've never pickled anything but with 30 varieties this season, I'm sure we'll get it down.

Back