• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

condiment How does Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa rank?

I've been into hot foods a long time. Mostly salsa. I usually add sauces to my salsa to reach the desired level.

I've had a lot of the major player hot sauces and salsas mixed but I'll straight up say Mrs. Renfro's Ghost pepper is the hottest I've found.

Anything else I should be looking for?

when it comes to salsas I am partial to the hot but not ghost pepper hot - I like the garden fresh salsa frescas or something like a Casa Lindra Salsa Roja - anything hotter and I think you lose some of the subtlety of the onions, cilantro, etc.

I'll occasionally go superhot for hot sauces but I prefer my salsas savory with just enough heat. I also prefer fresh to jarred, but then I live in California and we have several excellent brands in most markets plus all the varietal salsas sold by the dozens of taquerias who all have their grandma's recipe. Pretty much spoiled.

back to the original, for a jarred salsa I like Ms Renfro's - it's definitely among the hottest jarred salsas I've had. If I recall I used that to heat up the mango/hab they make that wasn't hot at all. They're one of the better jarred salsas out there though.

Its really good!! But eating one of my fresh unripe ghost peppers in hotter then eating the whole jar of that stuff! That being said it is still really good! Awesome flavor! But the heat is only around habanero pepper hot (if that). I dont know of any store bought salsa that is hotter as of yet. But you can either make your own or buy some off of somebody on THP that will be hotter! :)

I've not had that flavor of that brand, but anything else by that brand has been excellent. Sadly that's not available in the areas I shop!

A year and a half ago (Dec 2010), we were at some (un-named insipid location) enduring the holiday with ...the Blands....

I saw a jar of Mrs R's Ghost sauce at the brand-blah grocery store and as bad/good as it was....it was the only heat in the house, and it served it's purpose. It gave us the cap-fix we needed to get through the holidays at TheBlands'.

It's a jarred salsa, Can't say more than that other than it had some heat, and was a jarred salsa. Better than nothing and it DID have some heat.

Yep I agree with mega, has a great flavor but for me is seriously lacking in the heat department, especially to be advertised as a Ghost Pepper salsa. I don't even think it has the heat of a habanero. But again, it is very tasty. I think Mrs. Renfro has some of the tastiest salsas around.

I have to agree with compmodder...for a large company, they produce some pretty good products...

Good to hear I'm not far off base. It's pretty hot for me but not like killer hot. I can comfortably sit down and eat a cup of it with chips and actually break a little sweat but still enjoy it. I've only had the ghost pepper and hab salsa from them. love both.

Renfro is the best store bought salsa around Imo. And, its not shy on the heat. Definitely not insanely hot, but they definitely pack a ton more heat than any other commercial salsa i have encountered.

I found a case of this in a local market at dirt money so I bought it, kept some, gave some out to some chilihead friends. I was decent for store bought salsa, tomato flavor is really all I taste with a subtle taste of smokey ghost. Not hot enough for my blood but much better than a lot of mass produced options.

For a non-chili head, it is way hotter than "hot" salsa. As far as a grocery store brand goes, all of Renfroe's are pretty darned good. For a salsa conneseur or an extreme heat seeker, it's still a grocery store salsa, not as good as home maxe, but better than big brands. For me, it is at the upper level of my heat tolerance, but I haven't bought a jar in a couple months. Lucky for me, my local tracery store stocks it.

Garden Fresh Gourmets wicked hot salsa is the best tasting salsa ive had. Its also the hottest salsa ive had. Its hotter than Mrs. Renfros ghost pepper salsa. I usually find it at kroger and occasionally at food lion in their deli section.

I buy this all the time. I like the flavor but find it too thin and watery. I usualy get another chunky hot brand and mix them.

The best salas I have had with flavor, and excellent heat is Cajohn's Jolokia salsa. I have tried Mrs. Renfro's salsa and it is nothing compared to Cajohns. I have not personally tried Garden Fresh Gourmets, but my interest is peaked now. I know Cajohn's is one of the most awarded companies in the industry for there salsa's and hot sauces. I have bought a number of there products and I have never been disappointed.

Back