• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How does one go about sealing bottles?

I've been making hot pepper sauce in the kitchen for years from home grown whether mine or peppers given to me. I've used recycled pepper sauce bottles and kept in the fridge. I'd like to seal them somehow for shelf life. Any ideas? BTW. glad I found this site!

I use shrink wrap. If you can't find the kind for bottles, the stuff in the electrical department at your local hardware store will do nicely.

I don't know if this is really a subject that should be discussed on a public forum, but I usually wear a loose coat with an inside pocket that I can quickly slip the bottle in...

Oh wait....you said *seal*.

Um...never mind

And, you know, I just read that somewhere. I...I ...I don't know much, about that sort of, you know, highly illegal and frowned upon behavior. Really. 'Cause, I'm not that sort of despicable person.

Um, I thinkthedogneedstogoout...bye...

Pam said:
I don't know if this is really a subject that should be discussed on a public forum, but I usually wear a loose coat with an inside pocket that I can quickly slip the bottle in...

Oh wait....you said *seal*.

Um...never mind

And, you know, I just read that somewhere. I...I ...I don't know much, about that sort of, you know, highly illegal and frowned upon behavior. Really. 'Cause, I'm not that sort of despicable person.

Um, I thinkthedogneedstogoout...bye...

LMAO :drooling:

You could also invest in some "mason jars" and use water bath processing on them. That's how I do it for now....I am going to buying a few cases of Woozy bottles with plastic caps that have a seal in them along with shrink bands...fairly inexpensive from online suppliers.Woozy bottles with seals and bands are cheaper than mason jars....I use mason jars cuz I can go to the local store and buy them there when I need them.

Thanks all!! I can other veggies from the garden using the boiling water bath method. The woozy bottles sound interesting. I'll check it out. Got a local graphics dude working on a label for me. I'm not lookin to hit it big in the hot sauce market. Just a hobby for now. Wasn't sure really how to seal the bottles at home without having them packaged somewhere.:(

before you start producing and selling your product check with your local health dept and dept. of agriculture as well as fda to make sure you're legal. I'm goin through all kinds of BS with everything right now...the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture has denide 2 commercial kitchens that I wanted to use so far....hopefully I will find one suitable soon.........

Dyce51 said:
before you start producing and selling your product check with your local health dept and dept. of agriculture as well as fda to make sure you're legal. I'm goin through all kinds of BS with everything right now...the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture has denide 2 commercial kitchens that I wanted to use so far....hopefully I will find one suitable soon.........
I'm not surprised. I figure that end of it would be a pain in the arse. UPC bar code, nutritional facts. Everybody wants a piece of the action. Keep us updated. Thanks.

cyotenfishing - granted i know nothing about packaging & selling hot sauce BUT I bet the upc code or nutritional facts are the least of worry's for anyone trying to sell their hot sauce. gotta remember you are dealing with other peoples lives when it comes to selling a food product. & nowadays you'd better have some good insurance & be 100% legit before selling premade food to others IMO

chilehunter said:
cyotenfishing - granted i know nothing about packaging & selling hot sauce BUT I bet the upc code or nutritional facts are the least of worry's for anyone trying to sell their hot sauce. gotta remember you are dealing with other peoples lives when it comes to selling a food product. & nowadays you'd better have some good insurance & be 100% legit before selling premade food to others IMO
Family and friends ll' be the guinea pigs. Like I stated previously only a kitchen hobby for the time being. You must work for the FDA....lol

cyotefishing said:
I'm not surprised. I figure that end of it would be a pain in the arse. UPC bar code, nutritional facts. Everybody wants a piece of the action. Keep us updated. Thanks.

UPC codes and the Nutrion facts are easy...The ODA told me I could use approved software (which is really cheap) to calculate the nutrional stuff....it's all rather easy just a run around and money...with sauces you have to use a co-packer that has a "canning license" and approved facility...I also make meat rubs that I will be making myself in a commercial kitchen. Just gotta make sure your product is safe. Ya gotta check the ph levels and water contentent (depending on your product) you have to make sure no risk of any food born illness...ie botulism. ecoli, etc....The laws are there to protect the comsumer as well as the producer. Just a bit of red tape but really not too bad...And also you said you were designing your labels?? Careful!!!! Check out the FDA's web site. Your label must also meet there format and include certain info in certain areas, there is samples on their website...nutitional information only if you produce over 100,000 units a year according to the ODA (Ohio Dept of Agriculture).

Dyce51 said:
UPC codes and the Nutrion facts are easy...The ODA told me I could use approved software (which is really cheap) to calculate the nutrional stuff....it's all rather easy just a run around and money...with sauces you have to use a co-packer that has a "canning license" and approved facility...I also make meat rubs that I will be making myself in a commercial kitchen. Just gotta make sure your product is safe. Ya gotta check the ph levels and water contentent (depending on your product) you have to make sure no risk of any food born illness...ie botulism. ecoli, etc....The laws are there to protect the comsumer as well as the producer. Just a bit of red tape but really not too bad...And also you said you were designing your labels?? Careful!!!! Check out the FDA's web site. Your label must also meet there format and include certain info in certain areas, there is samples on their website...as for a UPC you only need a UPC if you produce over 100,000 units a year according to the ODA (Ohio Dept of Agriculture).
Thanx

Back