• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod How does this happen?!

Hello all! It's been a while since I have been here, life is crazy with two elementary aged kids. Last year I planted Fatalii seeds from a reproable purveyor that I get pretty much all my seeds from. This year they finally started to fruit & one plant has red & the other the yellow peppers that I am used to seeing. Does the red version mutate from the yellow or did I get some seeds from red Fatalii peppers? Is it even a red Fatalii? All of the pics I have seen online of the reds look like pretty much like this one but there are so many peppers out there now that I can't tell.
Fatalii.jpg

@Toddzilla, the last time I grew Fatalii, they were skinnier and a little longer than your red pod. But, that was several years ago, and phenos can change over time. Fatalii comes in several colors - red, yellow, peach, etc. Right now, I'd say the red resembles a Caribbean Red Habanero. Not sure what the yellow Mutt might be. Need to see the plants and more pods of both. That might help. How did they taste?

Last edited:
@Toddzilla, the last time I grew Fatalii, they were skinnier and a little longer than your red pod. But, that was several years ago, and phenos can change over time. Fatalii comes in several colors - red, yellow, peach, etc. Right now, I'd say the red resembles a Caribbean Red Habanero. Not sure what the yellow Mutt might be. Need to see the plants and more pods of both. That might help. How did they taste?
The yellow was more spicy than the red. The red was a little more fruity than a red hab. but they were both pretty tasty. The yellow was the only pepper on the plant. The red has a bunch. I will get some pics this evening.

I think they are red habs as well. My guess is one of my kids knocked some pots over during germination & just put the name tags anywhere they would fit. I'm sure it is user error & not the wrong seeds in the packs.

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 15
It could simply be that some of the seeds in the pack crossed out, so maybe it's half fatalii and half red hab or bonnet or something similar. Even within a single pod you can end up with some seeds true and others crossed.

BTW, is that a black drum in your profile pic? Worse ways to spend a day than fishing the skinny water in Florida!
It is a black drum. I caught this one in Venice, LA though. It was right after hurricane Zeta rolled through the area in 2020. The water was high & I didn't see much action that trip. New Orleans was a ghost town as well due to covid. It was a bummer but still better than working.

Upon further inspection a 2nd Fatalii labeled plant looks like red habs & a dragon's breath that is starting to fruit also looks like red habs. These kids are lucky I love them a lil' more than my chiles. My guess is a soccer ball decimated the table with the peppers on it & they just swept the dirt & labels into whatever cups they would fit in.

Back