• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How far apart should different varieties be?

I have seeds starting (I know, late start) and have 4 different Jalapeno and 5 different Habanero. How far apart should each variety be planted to keep them from crossing?

How long can an insect fly? :)

Cross pollination does not affect this years pods, it is only a problem if you plan to save the seeds and plant them next year.

MrArboc said:

Cross pollination does not affect this years pods, it is only a problem if you plan to save the seeds and plant them next year.

I think that the pods the second year still produce the original strain, the next generation may show the cross strain...anyone???. Those seeds are readily available anyhow, so just grow those pods and enjoy!

bossman9 said:
I think that the pods the second year still produce the original strain, the next generation may show the cross strain...anyone???. Those seeds are readily available anyhow, so just grow those pods and enjoy!

Second year will show the cross if it happened.......

MrArboc said:

True...never really thought about that. I was thinking more airborne pollen. So even if my habs and japs are close or even next to each other there won't be any crossing this year?

nubster said:
True...never really thought about that. I was thinking more airborne pollen. So even if my habs and japs are close or even next to each other there won't be any crossing this year?

You won't be able to notice it if it happens, you'll get normal japs and habs.

bossman9 said:
May not appear different, but genetics (and heat) may have changed....agree??

The same is true for F2, F3 etc if (and only if) the original plants are very similar.

I've heard a mile and a half between plants which really isn't practical. There are other easier ways to increase your odds for true seeds.
If your plants do cross in most cases you should be able to tell fairly easily, as long as you know quite well how the parent plants grow.
F1's should show characteristics of both parents, f2's on will show recessive genes which could be very unlike the parents

If you still don't want a cross next year, you can put cheese cloth or wedding vial material over one of each plant and that'll keep foreign pepper pollen away from the plant.

nubster said:

simply no. the pods that you get this year will not be affected by pollen from any other plant, the only thing it could affect is seeds if you keep them and plant them next year they might show differences. but this year don't even worry about it.

Back