• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How far apart to plant

Hi guys!
I am planning to build a pollytunnel/ greenhouse and just trying to figure out the dimensions. I can build it as large as I want as iv got lots of land to use.
I'm thinking maybe 10x4m. My question is how far apart would I plant my Habs and Bhuts?

Depends on the size of the plants. As they grow and you pot up they will obviously take more space. Do you start your plants early indoors? What size pots is your normal final size?

I would guess 18"-24" apart---but that is not based on experience; only what I have read here.
Luck

it's kinda up to you...if they are in a polytunnel and you have no wind and plenty of room for them to grow, I would give them 36" spacing...the larger varieties will still grow into one another...a good healthy trinidad variety will get up to 5 feet in diameter and 6 feet tall...so your spacing depends on the mature size of the variety you are growing...for instance white habanero's can he spaced at 18" because they are smaller plants...

i now plant at 24 inches because that is the spacing on the emitters on my irrigation lines.

i used to plant as close as 18 inches but the plants grew together so much it made harvesting more difficult.

it's kinda up to you...if they are in a polytunnel and you have no wind and plenty of room for them to grow, I would give them 36" spacing...the larger varieties will still grow into one another...a good healthy trinidad variety will get up to 5 feet in diameter and 6 feet tall...so your spacing depends on the mature size of the variety you are growing...for instance white habanero's can he spaced at 18" because they are smaller plants...

This! Give especially the Bhuts lots of space. I planted in the ground 21" apart last year. My plants got to 6' and it was a huge mass of shrubbery to dig through for peppers. I pulled them up yesterday and the main mass of the root bulb was the size about a 1.5/2' sphere. Make sure to give the roots plenty of room so as to not overcrowd themselves.

Back