• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake How hot is powder vs fresh pepper pods?

I turned 2 stuffed gallon bags of raw peppers into 3/4ths of an average size salt shaker. A little powder goes a loooong way!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Think about all the record holders, fresh pods are not tested but the powder/dried product is....
That is because the scoville scale was based on dilution in water thus the need to extract as much water as possible to get the most accurate rating possible, it is the same w/ dried herbs, the flavoring ratio is approximately 3\1. But for peppers the weight is very different on the amount of dried pepper you would eat at once fresh versus dried. Its very hard to put an exact right or wrong answer here, as it was correctly stated that first off fresh and dried effect you mouth differently, one thing is for sure, I'll pop a whole super in my mouth and chew it up many times over before ever trying to eat a bunch of powder plain! Powder is awesome for everything except eating by itself, this is of course my opinion, I do not mean to detract from those of you out there eating spoons full of powder!

chile_freak said:
That is because the scoville scale was based on dilution in water thus the need to extract as much water as possible to get the most accurate rating possible, it is the same w/ dried herbs
^ What he said....

I can tell you that getting the powder in your eye will make you cry like a little school girl.I was at work we were sampling some powder I made and dumb me opened it up with a raised fan pointed in my direction.The guys knew I was hurtin,I played tough "That did'nt hurt" walked swiftly to our warehouse as I would be alone. .And poured all the water I could find into my face.
       If I ever rub a fresh pod in the eye I will let you all know how they compare.

Two points here, whether you get fresh oil or dried superhots powder in your eye, it hurts like hell, I've had plenty of both and I can tell you it hurts to much to give a sheet which one is hotter!
The other when you get Hunan hand, or you get pepper oil or powder somewhere you shouldn't whether it be your eyes or somewhere " in the deep south" rub vegetable oil on the offended area then wash thoroughly with warm soapy water, it is the most amount of relieve from the fires of hell that ucve been able to find, just a tip take it or leave it as you would.

chile_freak said:
That is because the scoville scale was based on dilution in water thus the need to extract as much water as possible to get the most accurate rating possible, it is the same w/ dried herbs, the flavoring ratio is approximately 3\1. But for peppers the weight is very different on the amount of dried pepper you would eat at once fresh versus dried. Its very hard to put an exact right or wrong answer here, as it was correctly stated that first off fresh and dried effect you mouth differently, one thing is for sure, I'll pop a whole super in my mouth and chew it up many times over before ever trying to eat a bunch of powder plain! Powder is awesome for everything except eating by itself, this is of course my opinion, I do not mean to detract from those of you out there eating spoons full of powder!

Are you sure this is correct? I would have assumed as capsaicin is insoluble in water (hence why water is not great for curing your mouth burn), they would use a different organic solvent for liquid extractions like ethanol or something. Water could be used in a binary mobile phase but would need to mixed with a solvent which capsaicin is soluble in, I think!!  :P

Wilbur Scoville's original test was to see how many times a given pepper pureed could be diluted down in a solution of sugar water before his panel of testers could stop tasting any heat at all. By this rationale, according to testing some of the morugas and reapers would need to be diluted in sugar water 2,000,000 times before you could no longer taste any heat from them in a solution of sugar and water.this being a rather subjective and unreliable test, they nowadays use HPLC or high performance liquid chromatography, by which and extract is made from the dried ground Chile and it it spun in a centerfuge to discover its entire chemical makeup, which I'm sure is how they discovered the multiple forms of capsaicinoids.

Back