• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How hot is....

Might be my lack of a lot of experience growing hot peppers but I mistakenly assumed that c. annum were among the lower heat peppers. We got a few odd plants at the greenhouse, one named chili etla. Never heard of it but what do I know? Picked a ripe one yesterday and it does have some heat, middle of the tongue and lips. I wasn't quite expecting that. It's not tremendous heat just surprised me. Anyone ever heard of this pepper? Sorry we ate the only one but plenty of flowers so we should have more soon.

Jackie

Never heard of that pepper, can you post some pics?

While e.g. chinense tend to be hot (most of them), annuums come in every degree of heat from sweet to very hot, so don't be surprised! :)

915river said:
Do you mean Etna if so that is a hybrid pepper mild in heat.

Here's the description from the tag:

Chile de Etla C. annuum 4 to 6 inches in length, 1 1/2 to 2 inches at the shoulder tapering to a blunt end. Lighter green in color, slightly curved, slightly rumpled skin. WONDERFUL MILD FLAVOR. Mine turned red so who knows if this is even the correct tag for this pepper?

Jackie

pepperfever said:

Chile de Etla C. annuum 4 to 6 inches in length, 1 1/2 to 2 inches at the shoulder tapering to a blunt end. Lighter green in color, slightly curved, slightly rumpled skin. WONDERFUL MILD FLAVOR. Mine turned red so who knows if this is even the correct tag for this pepper?

Jackie

No peppers stay green. The eventually turn red, orange, yellow, or purple. People just pick some types early when they are still green. Ripe peppers tend to be hotter and have more flavor.

pepperfever said:

Jackie

Etna is hybrid very productive plant also very pugent plant have white flowers pods size are 6" long by 3/4" wide mature from green to red pods have thick flesh.Origin:Asia:lol:

Back