• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How I deal with Spanaway Spuds

I started another 4x16 raised bed today, thought I would show a couple pics of the tool I use to get the rocks out. It is made from a 2'x5' chunk of 1/4" hardware cloth wrapped in a frame. The box at the bottom catches the rocks.

000_0112.jpg

000_0113.jpg

000_0114.jpg

I have tossed a lot of shovelfulls of dirt on it! I call it my slave driver........

I have owned a 1967 RS Camaro since 1992........

Back to our regularly scheduled topic...........

Nice thing about screen, it lets the rocks slide off and into the box below, I only have to mess with the clumps of vegetation to get the good stuff out of the roots by rubbing it on the screen. :)

I made a change to the screen, been thinking of doing this for some time. I removed the catch box and mounted the screen directly to the side of the wheelbarrow. Saves me from having to scoop the rocks out of the box. I just gotta be careful not to let it over fill.... Heres the Happy Photos:

000_0121.jpg

A couple of the ditch I am digging for the new 4x16 raised bed:

000_0122.jpg

000_0123.jpg

Here is the growing rock pile, anyone need some rocks, free for nothing?

000_0124.jpg

Nice one RS, Although I would reduce the slope by a fraction just to gain a bit more soil before it rolls off with the rocks. Just a thought though.

Happy digging.

millworkman said:
Dang, thats quite the rocky mess.

I have learned a few things digging in my back yard:

1. Wear safety glasses when swinging the pick, rocks shatter violently when hit.

2. Hold the pick with a loose grip, does not hurt as much when you find a 20 pounder.

3. Work gloves are mandatory, saves hands from blisters from the pick bouncing off of rocks.

4. When you find that 20 pounder the hard way, there is no need to try to hit the same place again.

Back