• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun How important is direct sun?

^ Different climate, you always have to consider where someone lives as well as what time of year it is and how big the plant is now. Your plant probably benefited from the shade, I read of a lot of people in FL who want shade in the afternoon to evening.

here are my plants at 47 days from seed...this was back in mid February...that's a shiner bock beer in the plants to the left :)

02-16-12a004.jpg

not being mean I promise you but if your plants are only 2" tall at 7 weeks from seed...they weren't getting enough light or food/water...I am running a little over 3K lumens/ft[sup]2[/sup] in this grow box

here are my plants at 47 days from seed...this was back in mid February...that's a shiner bock beer in the plants to the left :)

02-16-12a004.jpg

not being mean I promise you but if your plants are only 2" tall at 7 weeks from seed...they weren't getting enough light or food/water...I am running a little over 3K lumens/ft[sup]2[/sup] in this grow box

Yep I have my sprouts on a screened patio(30% of the available light is filtered by the screen)morning sun 8 -11 direct rest is shade time, these where planted 5/12.
IMG_0101-16.jpg

Here is what my pepper plant in the shade does. It is 7 feet tall and produces pods all day all year. So who was saying poor production? Don't believe everything you hear. Depends where you live and what you feed it. ;)

photo-191.jpg
. And also what kind of plant. ....just saying

Is this sunburn?

TrinScorp-wilt.jpg

First full day outside, and it's the only one showing signs of stress.

I threw a few more pics up if anybody feels like telling me why all my plants are tiny. Aside from the obvious fact that they're inside, and in clausterphobic pots.
Linky

edit: Appears to be some sort of forwarding problem... 1 min.
re-edit: Nm, looks fine now.... Lemme know if this displays with no pictures for you though.

Hmm, looking at my pictures with a fresh eye from a lower angle suggests that I'm actually a pessimist, and while I may 'feel' they're mostly ~2", it looks like they're mostly a smidge more than that.

table-smaller.jpg

Still, a bit runty though.

man, get a fan on those things and exercise the stems...they are gonna get leggy if you don't....

plants look good...

They're right under a ceiling fan, should that be enough?

I hope to find a spot for them all outside this weekend, for better or worse. I just hope the Trinidad Scorpions make it. They were the main focus of my decision to grow peppers, and none of them are taking off like I'd hoped. The sunburned one 2 pics up and the one in the milk jug one pic up are my 'best' scorps. I think I've only got 1 or 2 smaller scorps in the cups...,

I am running a little over 3K lumens/ft[sup]2[/sup] in this grow box
What sort of investment is somebody looking at for that sort of setup? Doubt I'll go out and buy it any time soon, but once I've figured out what I'm doing with a few seasons of pepper genocide it looks like a nice setup to move onto.

What sort of investment is somebody looking at for that sort of setup? Doubt I'll go out and buy it any time soon, but once I've figured out what I'm doing with a few seasons of pepper genocide it looks like a nice setup to move onto.

Depends on how handy a carpenter or electrician you are, the parts you already have, and how many cubic feet of space you need to light up. For example if you had some wood and wire lying around, you could get a 6 pack of daylight hue CFL bulbs and 6 E26 sockets for about $30. While it's not as many lumens/ft^2 as AJ has, that would handle 4 sq ft if your side panels are reflective to keep all the light inside.

On a larger scale, 4' long T8 FL fixtures are probably the most cost effective in the long term, and run about $40 each but with lower bulb replacement cost if you aren't picky about the bulb type.

Do you think this one'll pull through? It took most of its damage the first day, then hasn't appeared to take much more... Are the sunburned leaves forever useless or will they grow back? Have you had sunburn kill before?

TS-sunburn.jpg

There's still a lot of green there, the plant will be stunted but if the discoloration doesn't get any worse it may survive. Hard to say if it'll bounce back in time to do anything useful outside in your climate though... You might find yourself with the first round of immature pepper pods and need to bring the plant inside to finish them when the fall frosts comes.

Are you not hardening them off, leaving them out for only a few hours at a time during such hot weather till they get used to it?

lol should do fine. I'm new here but I can still say with confidence if you have a leaf left, it can pull through.
I had a few bhus (notorisously difficult to seed) that I decided to put in my waterfarm. I messed up the nuts and burned them so bad all the leaves fell off. All of them. I was left with a stalk.
I put it in some ocean forest soil and carefully monitored the water and sun and they came back just fine after having lost every leaf on the plant.

Are you not hardening them off, leaving them out for only a few hours at a time during such hot weather till they get used to it?
I made a half-hearted attempt at it, but with my schedule I estimated they'd be ready for summer some time around September so outside they went.

^ you will get poor growth with only 4 hours of sun and in Wisconsin I doubt you'll get much yield starting this late. I'd pot them and place where they get direct sun as long as possible, then bring them in before the first frost.

90F for 8 hours of sunlight will "probably" be fine given enough water, I'd try that and move them to shade if they seem to get extremely droopy or if a little droopy, if they don't recover at some point late in the evening.

What about when the temperature is around 95-100F? I live in Charlotte, NC and it's been in the high 90s to low 100s the past few weeks and I noticed my plants dropping a lot of blooms in this heat so I started only giving them about 2 hours of direct sunlight a day. They're still dropping blooms but not as many, but it's supposed to cool off soon so hopefully I can go back to 7-8 hours of sun a day. My chocolate hab hasn't had a new pepper since this heat started, and my others have only had a few new ones while the other pods seem to be developing slowly, so I'm not sure if it's the heat or lack of direct sunlight, I just read that these temps are not ideal during flowering.

Back