• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water How important is it to boil/set out tap water to remove Cl- before watering?

HwyBill

Banned
I've seen this go back and forth many times.

I was wondering if I could find some sort of consensus, since boiling/setting out is getting quite laborious to keep up with the number of plants I have.

all i do is set the water out in milk containers with the lid off for a couple of days. have had no problems with that.

Yeah.. I do the same thing....

However, at the moment I have already been able to collect 3 containers, and I need more than 3 gallons of water every 48 hours.

Mine get it straight from the hose. When it is strong enough to smell I have wondered but never saw ill effects. Growth stunting? Hard to say for me on that note, but no damage.

Hydrogen peroxide is a quick and simple way to remove chlorine from tap water.
Just stir in about a tablespoon of cheap drug store peroxide per gal. of tap water and you are good to go.
An excess of peroxide does no harm, in fact there is belief that weak solutions of peroxide is beneficial to plants.

Chlorine is not so much the problem anymore... Chloramine is (a compound of Chlorine and Ammonia--more and more commonly used nowadays in place of Chlorine). It is more stable than Chlorine and harder to remove. Simply boiling or leaving your water out overnight won't do the trick--but there are methods.

Before possibly wasting any time/effort on a bagel result, I would check to see what is added to your local water. No use trying to remove Chlorine if it is Chloramine in your water..... ;)

Chlorine is not so much the problem anymore... Chloramine is (a compound of Chlorine and Ammonia--more and more commonly used nowadays in place of Chlorine). It is more stable than Chlorine and harder to remove. Simply boiling or leaving your water out overnight won't do the trick--but there are methods.

Before possibly wasting any time/effort on a bagel result, I would check to see what is added to your local water. No use trying to remove Chlorine if it is Chloramine in your water..... ;)

Is there an on-line resource for this, or do I need to purchase a test-kit?

Is there an on-line resource for this, or do I need to purchase a test-kit?
Contact your local water department. They have to tell you what they put in your water, and in my state they are required to publish a yearly report of the results of any testing.

Yea chloramines a pain in the neck. If you can't find out if it has chlorine or chloramine you can get an ammonia test kit and if it tests positive for ammonia your can pretty much say its got chloramine in the water if your worried about the chlorine throwing the test results leave the water outside int he sun for a few days and then you can test again.

Chloramines are nasty buggers and their presence in public water supplies is an indication of poor quality water. My guess would be that Chicago water is from the lake and like most municipal water systems injected with chlorine gas then adjusted to stabilize ph at above 7.5. Chlorine is cheap and quite effective. I wouldn't worry about chloramines in my tap water. Any Chlorimines found in municipal water are the result of chlorine combining with organic contaminants (sewerage for example). If you have ever been in a heavily used swimming pool on a hot day and noticed your eyes stinging, you have been subjected to chloramines. Swimmers have been pissing in the pool and the chlorine has reacted with the urine, killing bacteria but forming chloramines. ... So if your eyes sting, get out!

If you have ever been in a heavily used swimming pool on a hot day and noticed your eyes stinging, you have been subjected to chloramines. Swimmers have been pissing in the pool and the chlorine has reacted with the urine, killing bacteria but forming chloramines. ... So if your eyes sting, get out!

Take note people... do NOT get in the pool with me if you don't want stingy eyes! :rofl:

Jokes aside, it IS serious business. And they've got the audacity to tell us it's safe....

lol thats a laugh, I think I would be more worried about the mixture of gassys urine and chlorine, chlorine is an oxidizer and when mixed with ammonia such as urine you get chlorine ???? you guessed it GASSY gas :D

Campden tablets are a quick and easy way to remove chlorine and chloramine from tap water, I don't know what their effect on plants and soil would be.

Campden tablets are a quick and easy way to remove chlorine and chloramine from tap water, I don't know what their effect on plants and soil would be.
Camden tablets contain Sodium Metabisulfite. Dissolve them in water and you get Hydrogen Sulfide gas. Wineries use them to sterilize fruit juice, but then have to let it stand and breathe awhile to get rid of the gas before adding the yeast.

An excess of peroxide does no harm

totally disagree with this....if you use too much peroxide, it kills the beneficial microbes/bacteria in your soil and without those microbes/bacteria, you are severely limiting your plants potential...I never use peroxide unless my plants show signs of root rot, then I use 1 Tbsp/gallon...

as far as chlorine in your tapwater goes...my plants get it straight from the tap and have been for several years...doesn't seem to be hurting them...I have plants that are over 5 feet tall already and loaded with pods...

again, the number of plants you grow makes a difference as to how they are treated and what they get...you can futz with a few plants and "help" them along any way you want, but when you grow hundreds of plants, you just don't have time to painstakingly care for each plant...

remember this, the number one killer of chili plants is the person growing them...put them out, leave them alone (besides keeping an eye out for aphids/mites/etc), feed about once a month or so and they will grow well for you...your basic soil is the key to the "leaving them alone" statement...

Back