• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long after I Pick Peppers are seeds viable?

I picked a bunch of ripe peppers recently, and set them out on the counter. After a few days, some are a bit mushy, as can be expected. Can I still get viable seeds to plant next year if the peppers themselves are not super fresh anymore? I mean like a week to ten days after they are picked... FWIW, I usually air dry my seeds on paper plates for a few weeks.

Sorry if it's a silly question. I just want to know your experience in seed saving. 

Thanks!

Mike

I have sprouted very old seeds - Don't remember the record - I think around 4 years.  This is my saving technique:

1 - Leave in a paper cup inside for a minimum of 30 days to dry. 

2 - Put in a Ziploc bag, along with a desiccant pack, such as ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NH5S8U/)

3 - Put the Ziploc bag in a dark brown envelope, the type used for interoffice communications. 

I think I asked the question wrong. How long can peppers be left to sit out before their seeds are no longer good?

Can I get good seeds from a mushy pepper?

Thanks for the answers though, as they give good info as well.

I'm gonna say yeah, as long as there is no visible mold inside. I would give them a diluted h202 soak right before germinating though. In case there is some kind of unvisible pathogen.

I agree, the seeds should be good, but I rate them on what they look like. If any of the seeds look brown or really off color I wouldn't use those. Any seeds that look nice and white, or whatever seed color is, they will be just fine. +1 on the treating. I use ZeroTol which is real close to concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide, but using something to clean them from any possible fungus would probably give you a little more assurance. Tom

motorcity said:
I think I asked the question wrong. How long can peppers be left to sit out before their seeds are no longer good?

Can I get good seeds from a mushy pepper?

Thanks for the answers though, as they give good info as well.

Just as long as the pepper was ripe the seeds will be OK.
Soak and clean before planting and allshould be great.

I dry them for acouple weeks, bag'm and freeze them.
New to super hots but I'm not new to growing things from seed.

Plant seeds are an en credible thing.
Dont over think them, double your sprouts and pick the best to plant.

Same answer.... Years. When the pods go mushy, they're preparing to release the seeds. Think about how it happens in nature. Pods grows, ripens, and then starts to degrade on the plant. The mushy, used up pod then falls to the ground and dries/rots in the elements, and the seeds can then sprout. So no worries... mushy peppers are just a part of the process. Next stage after mushy, say... in your window sill, is dried. Seeds are ready to go, then.

Thanks everyone! I will quit worrying as they sit on my counter awaiting their de-seeding when I get a chance in a few days. 

I leave my peppers on a shelf for a week or so lets say 8 to 12 days before i deseed.Then wash and dry for 2 weeks works good for me.

Back