• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long after it turns...?

So, first year growing Fatalii.
Got a yellow(?) Fatalii that just started turning its pods yellow after being green for a month +.
Do they go to red after yellow, or is this just a yellow Fatalii...?

How long after it turns yellow is it fully ripe..?

My avatar pic was taken yesterday. Today its fully yellow, all green is gone. Is it ready now, or is it better to let stay on the plant longer..?

post-15502-0-46570400-1567607055_thumb.jpg

saiias said:
Let it be on plant atleast till it turns completely yellow. I usually let it sit there for 3 or 4 days more once it is golden yellow.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks, just what I needed to know... If left on the plant for a long time will it turn to red, or just rot..?

acs1 said:

Thanks, just what I needed to know... If left on the plant for a long time will it turn to red, or just rot..?

Sorry, I assumed it to be a yellow fatalii.

What variety is your plant? If it is yellow, the pods stay yellow no matter how long you leave them on the plant. If you leave too long, they will start drying out.

saiias said:
Sorry, I assumed it to be a yellow fatalii.

What variety is your plant? If it is yellow, the pods stay yellow no matter how long you leave them on the plant. If you leave too long, they will start drying out.

Was never specified what color it was suppose to be..? So guess I'm asking what is the color progression when it goes from green to yellow to ...? or do reds turn from green to red with no in between yellow..?

If it is indeed a red variety, it will go from green to red.

Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong.

saiias said:
If it is indeed a red variety, it will go from green to red.

Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong.

thanks again. Now I know its a yellow fatalii, and will harvest them in a couple more days.

So, whats the best Fatalii...? Do the different colors have much different flavors...?

That's definitely a yellow Fatalii.  The default Fatalii, if not specified, is yellow.
If you want red fatalii seeds, I'll bring you some next time I'm down that way.  Just say the word.

stettoman said:
If you're seed-saving, the longer on the vine the better.
Ya, curiosity got the better of me. Just picked one of the shiny bright yellow ones to have with breakfast,, it was delicious on Italian toast with cheese melted on top. That thing was hot, lots of heat, yum.

You are 100% right, the seeds were not mature enough to germinate at all imo.

Whats a guesstimate of how long after it turns yellow that the seeds will be viable...?
saiias said:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatalii

Wiki has pretty good writeup on this pepper.

Good info, thanks.

Was also interested in what forum members familiar with Fatalii thought was the best color to grow...
solid7 said:
That's definitely a yellow Fatalii.  The default Fatalii, if not specified, is yellow.
If you want red fatalii seeds, I'll bring you some next time I'm down that way.  Just say the word.
Yes please bring some.

Attachments

• Butch T Scorp 9_6_19.jpg
    Butch T Scorp 9_6_19.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 60
acs1 said:

Whats a guesstimate of how long after it turns yellow that the seeds will be viable...?

I read on a Jalapeno site years ago that to get as close to 100% viability as possible you should let as many pods as you want seeds from to get to the point of being soft and wrinkly, yet not rotten. I did that with a few Rocotos last year and have had outrageously good germination results.

...I also did that with a couple of Big Jim NuMex Chiles and got bupkiss, so I imagine there are a few other factors involved.

stettoman said:

I read on a Jalapeno site years ago that to get as close to 100% viability as possible you should let as many pods as you want seeds from to get to the point of being soft and wrinkly, yet not rotten. I did that with a few Rocotos last year and have had outrageously good germination results.

...I also did that with a couple of Big Jim NuMex Chiles and got bupkiss, so I imagine there are a few other factors involved.

I will second this on rocotos.  Planting a whole pod is about the only way I can get them to germinate reliably in my area. (which I suppose they're not supposed to be grown in, anyway)

acs1 said:
Was also interested in what forum members familiar with Fatalii thought was the best color to grow...

I have mixed opinions on the Fatalii.  On one hand, it's one of the best growing, and most bountiful of any pepper that I've ever grown.  Shoots up fast, produces early and often.  Great in sauces and salsas.  On the other hand...  It makes so damn many pods, that I get kinda tired of them.  And the stomach burn...  It kicks me in the gut like few other peppers.
I like to grow both yellow and red, equally.  They are both good by themselves, but they also compliment one another quite nicely.  I wasn't really impressed with the chocolate variety.  I think there's a peach variety, but I know nothing of it.

acs1 said:

Was never specified what color it was suppose to be..? So guess I'm asking what is the color progression when it goes from green to yellow to ...? or do reds turn from green to red with no in between yellow..?

Reds normally turn from green to brown to red.

solid7 said:

I have mixed opinions on the Fatalii.  On one hand, it's one of the best growing, and most bountiful of any pepper that I've ever grown.  Shoots up fast, produces early and often.  Great in sauces and salsas.  On the other hand...  It makes so damn many pods, that I get kinda tired of them.  And the stomach burn...  It kicks me in the gut like few other peppers.

Apache (annuum) is sort of similar which is why I generally only grow it every other year. Last year, I had over 250 pods from one plant! Same thing with the lemon drop. It's nice to get a bounty from your efforts, but damn... I hear you, man.

Regarding the stomach burn, I also get it if I have recently eaten a course of antibiotics without taking lactic acid bacteria at the same time. That stomach burn, I believe, is due to poor gastrointestinal health. I think that with a normal level of healthy gut bacteria, one should not ever experience stomach burn. Yogurt is also good for replenishing gut bacteria. Now, exit wounds are completely different story, my friend :-) It would appear that at least my body does not fully metabolize capsaicin...

podz said:

Apache (annuum) is sort of similar which is why I generally only grow it every other year. Last year, I had over 250 pods from one plant! Same thing with the lemon drop. It's nice to get a bounty from your efforts, but damn... I hear you, man.

Regarding the stomach burn, I also get it if I have recently eaten a course of antibiotics without taking lactic acid bacteria at the same time. That stomach burn, I believe, is due to poor gastrointestinal health. I think that with a normal level of healthy gut bacteria, one should not ever experience stomach burn. Yogurt is also good for replenishing gut bacteria. Now, exit wounds are completely different story, my friend :-) It would appear that at least my body does not fully metabolize capsaicin...

I can pretty much get pods in the thousands off of a single plant, given a 9 month growing cycle. 3 months of dormancy, but with gentle vegetative growth/maintenance.  It's just too much.  I want my rocotos to give me this problem. :D
In my case, I don't have any issues with GI health, but I think it's just a problem with this particular pepper.  And ghost.  I have always assumed that it's just part of the burn profile.  It's not heart burn.  It literally feels like a bit of hot metal is stuck where esophagus meets stomach.
I don't even get that kind of burn from Bhutlah/Reaper, etc. 

Back