• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding How long after separating to worry about Cross pollenation

So here is a random question I have that I've been wondering about, dunno if anybody has any insight..

If I'm testing a few different varieties out in my greenhouse that COULD cross pollinate each other, how long after moving them away from each other (or culling the ones I don't want) do I have to worry about cross pollination happening?

I'm looking to find the perfect plant that I'd like to keep alive and I'd like to run a few side by side. For now I'd like to just like to sample the fruits then decide which is a keeper (probably going to clone but this question is just in case I'd like to keep some seeds too)

Sorry if that came out all jumbled I couldn't figure out what to search for to get results lol

cross pollination can only happen when both plants have open flowers 
The pollen is not produced till the flower is open and mature, and the flower is also not fertile & ready to receive pollen till a similar stage.

I guess the question really would be once a plant is pollinated by another variety is all fruit going to produce hybrid seed from then on? or will it ever go back to producing self pollinated seeds that product identical fruits to the parent??

Another way of asking I think would be "if one flower is pollinated by another plant is the whole plant pollinated? Will future sets, say a month or two down the road be pollinated as well from that one incident?"

nzchili said:
cross pollination can only happen when both plants have open flowers 
The pollen is not produced till the flower is open and mature, and the flower is also not fertile & ready to receive pollen till a similar stage.
Just a question on that last half a sentence ,
on all the videos I have watched to prepare for my first cross experiment it shows an immature  flower opened and the immature stamen removed , followed by the fertilisation , almost immediately.

So my deduction was that the Stigma and ovaries reach maturity before the Stamen and pollen , otherwise cross pollination would have been much more difficult and there should be a waiting period between cutting away immature Stamen and pollination.

Just me scratching my head. :confused:

Powelly said:
Only that one flower is pollinated
The best thing to do here would be hand pollination 

Ok so the genetics of the plant never change due to pollination meaning all further flowers on that plant that are self-pollinated won't have any sign of any other varieties in them.

Rumbl said:

Ok so the genetics of the plant never change due to pollination meaning all further flowers on that plant that are self-pollinated won't have any sign of any other varieties in them.
Yes,
all that changes is the genetics of the seeds in that one pod ,should you cross pollinate.

If you want to isolate to make sure you get no cross pollination, just isolate one flower with a little bag and use seeds from that one pod. You don't need to isolate the whole plant.

Excellent thats exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Any idea if other plants like tomatoes are the same?

karoo said:
Just a question on that last half a sentence ,
on all the videos I have watched to prepare for my first cross experiment it shows an immature  flower opened and the immature stamen removed , followed by the fertilisation , almost immediately.

So my deduction was that the Stigma and ovaries reach maturity before the Stamen and pollen , otherwise cross pollination would have been much more difficult and there should be a waiting period between cutting away immature Stamen and pollination.

Just me scratching my head. :confused:

Yes I think you are correct in that the flower thats going to be the female, can be fertilized before it can produce pollen. 

Back