• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long can a plant stay rootbound?

I noticed my 3 plants stopped growing and after work today one of them had dropped an older leaf. Picked up the pots and all three are showing roots in the drain holes. The only problem is im driving over a hundred miles to work the next couple days. Will they be alright for a few days or is this a matter of life and death?

I use hydro ferts in my small pots.
"Life or Death" prolly has more to do with drying out.
If they can go for a few days without watering, they will prolly survive.
I have a Thai Dragon in an 8 in. pot----3 years now, and just cut back to almost bare trunk.
Still alive.

Man a few days wont hurt it at all, unless you have bad luck. Lol . Just make sure they are watered before you leave.

The only issue ive noticed with rootbound plants, apart from the limited size, is the amount of water they drink. I have two plants in same size pots. One is root bound one is not. The root bound plant getd watered daily, the other once every 4 to 5 days. Try make an automated watering system.

Thanks all I gave them some water this morning came home and a leaf on the smaller sb is turning yellow but at the same time one of the flowers opened up so I guess they are doing alright.

I pull off leaves when they're yellow. If its not a deficiency the plant can and will shed lower leaves of they are consuming more energy than they produce. If you are dropping new leaves its a concern. The oldest leaves is usually fine.

I have quite a few root bound plants. The thing I have noticed with them is that it eventually gets to a point where the water does not penetrate through into the centre of the root ball. I give them a 10-15 minute soak by sinking the pot in a bucket of water and they are generally good for another month of normal watering. Being root bound is not life threatening, inability to get water is though.

thirdcoasttx said:
I raise you one chiltepin lol
15b9134a-d612-4458-8a98-1d90c6769f4d_zps38a77c4e.jpg

Back