• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How long can one keep starts in plugs?

Hey guys was thinking about potting up next week which is 4 weeks since setting down seeds. Currently they are in rapid rooter style plugs some are putting on their second set of leaves other not yet. It would be better for me if I could wait 2 weeks. My question is this how long has anyone kept thei starts in plugs? Just curious ?

the best thing to do in my experience is to wait till the roots colonize the plug you can get away waiting much longer than you would think and in return your plant would have a much lower chance of getting transplant shock when they are a little moroe establshed

I had mine in the 72 cell tray for a little over 5 weeks and they were just starting to show signs of needing to be potted up.

the best thing to do in my experience is to wait till the roots colonize the plug you can get away waiting much longer than you would think and in return your plant would have a much lower chance of getting transplant shock when they are a little moroe establshed

What do you mean by "colonize the plug" ?

I had mine in the 72 cell tray for a little over 5 weeks and they were just starting to show signs of needing to be potted up.

Cool mine are 3 weeks now and I'd like to keep then 2 more weeks

once the roots have filled in the plug like coming out the bottom. i germinate my seeds in soil in a solo cup with holes all over the bottom, and when i notice roots coming out the bottom i wait till it dry and tip it upside down and if everything slides out at once and the roots hold the soil in place i pot up

Hi guys. Thanks for answering this question - that's one question I can mark off my list.

Now, a super newbie question: I started germinating seeds in a Jiffy 72 tray about five days ago. I was under the impression that keeping the humidity super high was important at this stage, so I left the lid on, but now I'm noticing mold forming. Should I leave the lid off?

Yes. Everything should stay moist, but if you keep it too wet (as I also did this year) you'll start to get some mold.

What worked for me, and I only have anecdotal evidence for its safety and efficiency, was sprayed everything down with a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution to help kill the mold.

Last year I bought a really nice tray that had adjustable vents on the side to help maintain the moisture just the way I wanted it, but it busted in the winter :(
I went with the cheap Jiffy 72 tray this year as well, and I've got to say that I'm really missing those vents.

Back