How long does it take..?

I am about to start eating spicy cornish game hens, a la Mockingbird.  The birds really got a taste for my peppers this year, and they are destroying them.  Luckily, I'm about sick of peppers by mid-July.  I got about 3 dozen pods right now that are laid to waste from the birds.

My harvest is just starting .... I probably have at least 1000 green pods out there right now that are just starting to turn.  Seriously, it does seem like it takes a long time. 

I find the taste of mockingbird is really enhanced by a nice Chilhaucle mole sauce.  What do you call a mockingbird cooked in alcohol?  Tequila mockingbird.  

skullbiker said:
I would cut the pod open and look inside, to me it would no longer be any good anyway.

Bicycle808 said:
A critter ate a hole in that pod. I have lost more peppers to that kinda damage this year than ever before. Thankfully, I've also grown more peppers this year than ever before...

My top suspect is earwigs, but it could be something else... Definitely a decent-sized insect or similar arthropod

solid7 said:
I am about to start eating spicy cornish game hens, a la Mockingbird.  The birds really got a taste for my peppers this year, and they are destroying them.  Luckily, I'm about sick of peppers by mid-July.  I got about 3 dozen pods right now that are laid to waste from the birds.

Yup, the red circle marks the 'hole'. I cut it open and looked, could see nothing insect like there.  But the brown edged hole continues into the cut open pod. And like ballistic gelatin, points to a "I told ya so". Not sure if you can see it in the pic but right under the blue line is a beak mark for sure....

The rest of it looked not bad, even seemed to have some mature seeds..? Put it in a bag in the fridge just in case I get hungry... lol

Ya ya ya solid7, you were right... lol
And I know what bird is doing it, didn't see him do it but he's always doing weird things for a bluejay. like he's retarded or something,,, he eats perlite out of that container all the tiime. None of the other birds do that or ever eat perlite. Thought he was harmless,,, guess not. Might have to water blast train him to respect the Chile... lol Or relish in the fact this was the first and only bird damage, like I said its a give and take. Of all the luck, i get a young retarded stone eating pod pecking bird.

Attachments

• birdbeakhole.jpg
    birdbeakhole.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 74
If I think about it tomorrow, I'll see if I can snap some pics of my damage.  I have a pact with nature, that if I can get what I need, I'll share.  But seriously, you gotta see what they're doing to me...

Back