• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long for habaneros to ripen?

I have 5 habanero plants that have full size green pods for at least 4 weeks.  The skies have been hazy here due to the wildfires. Not sure if the hazy skies are slowing down the ripening process of the peppers.

Attachments

• IMG_2882.JPG
    IMG_2882.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 141
FWIW....

It was really bad with ash and haze where I'm at. One day--for the whole day--it was as dark as a night with a full moon. You couldn't even see across the street. The following 3 days were also pretty bad, the sun was dim red when it was visible.

More of my pods ripened during this time than at any other time in the season. I don't know if this was just a coincidence due to the time of the season.

At any rate, be patient. If you're in OC you could be getting ripe pods into December.

I was wondering this myself, as I have a young habanero plant that hasn't even set flowers yet. I guess I've got a long way to go.

By the way, are you originally from the islands OCGirl? I noticed your name and favorite cuisine lol

Here is an old reply I made to same question....

Same question i asked years ago...
Growing peppers taught me a new level of patience... lol

Just make sure they get as much direct sun as possible and all growing parameters are just right. They will ripen eventually.

Once they stop getting 'bigger, then they will work on getting ripe, sweet and hot...

I've been leaving my peppers on the plant even after they turn. Letting the Jala get red&heat cracks, others till just a little soft or a few wrinkles, or when the stem starts to yellow. Makes for the sweetest, hottest, best flavor imo. Thats what we have over store bought that are usually picked before they fully ripen. We can let them 'vine ripen to the max, making for the very best tasting hottest peppers... Longer you can leave them on, the hotter they get...

Possible Exception to the above advice... Got some chocolate reapers that I might have left on to long, think they gave us radiation poisoning,,they're nuclear I tell ya, like biting into the sun,,, milk didn't even help...

Just picked this one for some guacamole tonight, been on the plant for a month or more after turning red... These organic Jala's are scorching hot for a Jala... love em.

CjFO1fx.jpg

acs1 said:
Here is an old reply I made to same question....

Same question i asked years ago...
Growing peppers taught me a new level of patience... lol

Just make sure they get as much direct sun as possible and all growing parameters are just right. They will ripen eventually.

Once they stop getting 'bigger, then they will work on getting ripe, sweet and hot...

I've been leaving my peppers on the plant even after they turn. Letting the Jala get red&heat cracks, others till just a little soft or a few wrinkles, or when the stem starts to yellow. Makes for the sweetest, hottest, best flavor imo. Thats what we have over store bought that are usually picked before they fully ripen. We can let them 'vine ripen to the max, making for the very best tasting hottest peppers... Longer you can leave them on, the hotter they get...

Possible Exception to the above advice... Got some chocolate reapers that I might have left on to long, think they gave us radiation poisoning,,they're nuclear I tell ya, like biting into the sun,,, milk didn't even help...

Just picked this one for some guacamole tonight, been on the plant for a month or more after turning red... These organic Jala's are scorching hot for a Jala... love em.

CjFO1fx.jpg

OMG nice looking pepper!!!  :hot:

Habs take awhile to turn. I will say though, once you even see the first shade of ripening, you'll see a lot of them start to change, and they go from green to fully ripe very quickly. 

Size isn't necessarily an indicator of maturity. Some were large, a couple inches long, others the size of a cherry tomato. On the same plant. Just give it time! Yours look great, by the way.

Here's a couple pics. One from August 3, the other August 27. I'd say, from pollination to ripe fruit, it was about 6 weeks in consistent 85+ weather and 60+ degree nights. Chinense love the heat.

Attachments

• 20200924_090622.jpg
    20200924_090622.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200924_090715.jpg
    20200924_090715.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 101
Back