• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How long off the plant?

Well this may not really be "growing" related but it kind of is. Anyway I am going to hook my friend up here at work with about 6 Jalapenos. I know that once you freeze them and thaw them they can get kinda soggy. So, after picking them, how long can they be off the plant and still be good, or go to the freezer? Is there a way to prevent them from getting soggy after thawed?

Thanks

I find peppers generally last me a week and a half in the refridgerator before rotting. No way to prevent the soggy issue after freezing. Freezing burts alot of the cell wall which is the cause of soggy.

I thought I read that if you cut the pepper in half (at least) instead of putting in whole, that they will not be as soggy when thawed. Is this not true?

My Habaneros stay firm up to a week in room temperature, in the fridge they can last a month or so. Jalapenos probably less, same goes with other annums.

Good question. I'm finally harvesting more peppers than I can eat in a few weeks and wondered that also. Do they continue to ripen in the fridge? I mean if I put an almost ripe pepper on the counter it keeps going through the ripen process, but if I put them in the fridge would that stop the process?

Since we are bringing up fridge stuff. What about seeds? Can seeds still be usable from a pod that has been in the fridge or freezer?

LGHT said:
Good question. I'm finally harvesting more peppers than I can eat in a few weeks and wondered that also. Do they continue to ripen in the fridge? I mean if I put an almost ripe pepper on the counter it keeps going through the ripen process, but if I put them in the fridge would that stop the process?

It won't stop the ripening, but will slow it down quite a bit.

crazy8 said:
Since we are bringing up fridge stuff. What about seeds? Can seeds still be usable from a pod that has been in the fridge or freezer?

The fridge is fine, but I wouldn't want seeds stored in a freezer unless they had been thoroughly dried first.

Silver_Surfer- What I mean is if I have whole pods in the freezer and would like to take seeds from them still could I have usable seed if I extract from pods that have been frozen and dry them out, or will freezing ruin seeds once pods are frozen?

Water expands as it freezes, so the seed (or the cells of the seed)basically explode if it is frozen when moist. Drying it afterwards won't fix it.

crazy8 said:
Silver_Surfer- What I mean is if I have whole pods in the freezer and would like to take seeds from them still could I have usable seed if I extract from pods that have been frozen and dry them out, or will freezing ruin seeds once pods are frozen?

Freezing water fractures and wears down mountains, a small seed is hardly a challenge.

If the pods were frozen, just imagine hundreds of razor sharp daggers of ice crystals expanding outward from the inside out, stabbing at the inside of the seed.

Not a good thing!

Back