• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long until Neem oil starts working

I started using Neem oil to get rid of my aphids problem. I read that the oil doesn't instantly kill the aphids it rather works slowly after several sprayings because it messes up the hormones of the instects.

But how long does it take for neem oil to show some results?

GN00093_3927_neem-tonic-tekoce-organsko-skropivo-in-gnojilo-100-ml.jpg_100_FFFFFF_500_900__.jpg

I haven't found oils to work well on aphids  I did find "Mite X" worked the best of anything I tried.  All others have failed 100% where Mite X worked 100%.   

You should easily see results within a couple days, since bugs can only last a day, maybe 2 at the most after the neem oil orders their brains to stop eating, laying eggs, etc...

I tried googling, but couldn't track down whether this product is straight neem or clarified hydrophobic extract of neem. Apparently it is UV stabilized, not entirely sure how they accomplished that, but it does counter one of the downsides of neem. Poking around a bit, perhaps incorporated an antioxidant.

The suffocating nature of the oil will work immediately, the systemic effect will take a 2-3 applications and a few days to work independently of that. Aphids ingesting azadirachtin will not die outright, but will live piss-poor lives until they do.

I found a mixture of peppermint oil (0.25%) and neem (1%) to be highly effective, two sprays dealt with the aphids when everything moved inside. Insecticidal soap (Bronners) alone seemed above 80% effective at 1% concentration.

Mr. Hill said:
I haven't found oils to work well on aphids  I did find "Mite X" worked the best of anything I tried.  All others have failed 100% where Mite X worked 100%.   

MiteX is clove oil, cottonseed oil and garlic extract...

Equate* brand lice shampoo is very effective on plants as well
One shot usually runs them out
Mr. Hill said:

Not completely convinced it does.  I still used it this year.  I would spray with neem, then the following day I would dust with DE.  3 days later repeat.  After a couple times it would wipe them out.  Aphids are a non stop battle here because the fields that surround us I assume, so I repeat every couple weeks or so

miguelovic said:
I tried googling, but couldn't track down whether this product is straight neem or clarified hydrophobic extract of neem. Apparently it is UV stabilized, not entirely sure how they accomplished that, but it does counter one of the downsides of neem. Poking around a bit, perhaps incorporated an antioxidant.

The suffocating nature of the oil will work immediately, the systemic effect will take a 2-3 applications and a few days to work independently of that. Aphids ingesting azadirachtin will not die outright, but will live piss-poor lives until they do.

I found a mixture of peppermint oil (0.25%) and neem (1%) to be highly effective, two sprays dealt with the aphids when everything moved inside. Insecticidal soap (Bronners) alone seemed above 80% effective at 1% concentration.

MiteX is clove oil, cottonseed oil and garlic extract...

here are specs right off the label:

70% cold squeezed neem oil
    10% emulsifier (Sapindus trifoliatus)
    10% UV stabilizer (soy oil)
    10% antioxidant (grape seed oil and absorbic acid)

So it is not 100% neem but I hope it is still good? The seller says it is one of the best neem products on the market and granted I can't find any other to buy in my country...

I'm not a fan of Neem. Maybe it's a slight deterrent for aphids/mites but I didn't see any results. Stopped using a few year ago.

future_man said:

here are specs right off the label:

So it is not 100% neem but I hope it is still good? The seller says it is one of the best neem products on the market and granted I can't find any other to buy in my country...

Looks like a great product and very user friendly, how's it working out?

miguelovic said:

Looks like a great product and very user friendly, how's it working out?

After two sprayings and one watering with the stuff over two weeks, aphids don't return anymore. I can't seem to find new aphids anywhere on the plant. Thumbs up.

Have you guys heard of AzaMax? ithinkits called that.. i bought it but havent used it yet.. does that work at all?

Emald001 said:
Have you guys heard of AzaMax? ithinkits called that.. i bought it but havent used it yet.. does that work at all?
Yes it does work and so does need but you have to keep on it! I'd recommend every 5 days or so.. Your best bet is ladybugs though. I released around 7500 in the basement last winter. Not all at once but packs of 1500 every other week. No clue where they went but all of them disappeared after a week or so.

miguelovic said:
I tried googling, but couldn't track down whether this product is straight neem or clarified hydrophobic extract of neem. Apparently it is UV stabilized, not entirely sure how they accomplished that, but it does counter one of the downsides of neem.
I call BS! If the neem is not from India I won't use it.

Equate Lice shampoo will get it done
1tsp/1gal best bug soap I've ever used.
Quick knockdown and reasonable residual control

Proud Marine Dad said:

Proud Marine Dad said:

Then don't use it :D You've got to use what you can get. He lives in Slovenia, and I doubt is willing to pay for shipping/expense of sourcing the "right" neem.

Besides, it doesn't even list origin. It does however list organic cold pressed. Good enough for me. Hell, I get mine from NewDirections on the cheap and don't even know the country of origin. It works as well as anything I've used, but for half the price of Ahimsa or any other company.

Back