• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How long?

One of my cowhorn (aka cayenne) pepper pods gradually turned red over several days, then another one jumped to red in a single day. I pulled one to cook with tonight, but then started ruminating about the other. I'd rather leave it on the plant until I am ready to use it, rather than pull it and put it into the fridge. So I'd like some guidance here - I know you can still only leave it on the plant for so long, but how long is that? Does it vary significantly from plant to plant, or is there a general time frame that it should be pulled by? The jalapenos are just starting to turn red, and I know we'll gobble those down quickly enough (I've only got 3 plants total), but I'm thinking that with the cowhorn being much hotter than anticipated, I'll have to do some planning for next year if I don't kill it over the winter - probably look into drying some at that time, but this year it doesn't have many fruits. For now, though, just wondering how long I can leave them on the plant.

And some silliness here - I've done some experimenting with the cowhorn. Slice just the tip off one I've pulled, and put it in my mouth, then just hold it there in one place until the capsaicin spreads and completely covers the mouth. It's kind of funny - depending upon where you put it, the initial heat perception on the tongue is very different, and of course, the way the capsaicin spreads through the mouth is very different. Take measures to get the heat out of my mouth, then take another small piece and place it in a different area, and see what results I get this time (so I know the differences in the initial heat perception are truly a result of differences in the tongue, since I took the pieces from the same pepper.) Okay, okay, I know we're not supposed to play with our food, but who can resist?

Ya, when pods turn colour quick, so does the longevity of the pod, I have had ceyenne turn red fast, put it in the fridge, only to find it turning soft fast.
Others pods that turned red at a reasonable pace, put in the fridge lasts for a couple of weeks.
So to answer your question, yes, fast or slow, depends on the pods and how fast they mature.

If you put your peppers in a bag or in the fridge they will likely ripen/rot quicker since enclosed areas hold in ethylene gas produced by veggies. I find pods usually last longer when left on the plant, or if you pick them slightly under-ripe

Hi Geeme,

Just a quick comment about the heat of the peppers. The heat does vary through the peppers. The actual source of the capsaicin is the placental sack that the seeds are sitting in. The tip of the pepper is the least hot. The shoulder of the pepper (closest to the stem) is the hottest, because that's where the placenta is attached. You can try experimenting with the peppers themselves by putting slices of a single pepper on the same spot of your tongue to see for yourself. I took a naga last year (actually, the first one that ripened...and the first I had ever tried) and took a small slice from the tip and tried it. I was actually disappointed by how mild it was. I started to take slices from the middle and from closer to the stem and recognized the error of my ways.

On the topic, though, you should pick the peppers as they ripen so your plant will be encouraged to put out more peppers for you. Just a thought.

Great to meet you!

Hi, PCH!

That's funny. I always try the shoulder when I'm trying a pepper that's new to me the first time. It's just one of those non-thinking things - if the first thing you do is slice off the stem, that end is already cut, so why not take a taste from right there? And interesting about the naga - my cowhorn/cayenne is pretty hot at the tip, even though it's about 10" long, compared to your naga's roughly 3".

Hmm. Maybe that's what scared the groundhog away. The silly thing dug in my jalapeno pot a few times. Then after a few weeks, I went out one morning to find some teeth marks on one of the peppers, starting at the shoulder going down. He didn't make it very far before stopping, and hasn't been around my pots since.

G

Ah, yes, Potawie, they "usually last longer when left on the plant", but what is that - a week, two weeks? This particular plant hasn't flowered in a couple of weeks, which I'm okay with at this time, but I want what's there to hang around a while, with a particular purpose in mind. Of the ones remaining at this point, one is now completely red, one is about half way there, another just barely starting to blush. Any idea how long I can "safely" keep the red one on the plant?

If you put your peppers in a bag or in the fridge they will likely ripen/rot quicker since enclosed areas hold in ethylene gas produced by veggies. I find pods usually last longer when left on the plant, or if you pick them slightly under-ripe

Back