• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

How many various species of plants in your yard?

Hi Catherine! Let me know which ones you're interested in, and if I have seeds for them, they're yours. If not, I'll make a point to save seeds for them in the fall.

bicolor buddleia
agapanthus
pride of barbados
'alba' hibiscus coccineus
Hibiscus sabdariffa
mexican honeysuckle
russelia
plains coreopsis
russian sage
singapore pink plumeria
various lantana
forest fire salvia
indigo spires salvia
black and blue salvia
silverado sage
columbine
unknown variety crinum lily ( recieved in plant swap)
blackberry lily
40+ varieties peppers
10 varieties of tomatoes
gardenia
shrimp plant
butterfly ginger
4 varieties of hydrangea
oxalis
evergreen wisteria
shasta daisy
gaillardia mix
milkweeds
pentas
dragonfruit
satsuma
moro blood orange
basil
lemon thyme
lemongrass
kong coleus
watermelon
cantaloupe
sunchoke/jerusalem artichoke
poinsettia
various lantana
varous unknown iris
yarrow
blackjack gladiolous
abyssinian gladiolus
amaryllis
mexican tuberose
moonlight caladium
flame acanthus
pentapetes
fragrant tea olive (osmanthis fragrans)
ixora
blueberries ( 3 varieties)
zinnias

Highalt, Thanks for the generous offer! It's nice to see someone else who has currants. For flowers I have loads of iris - only a few purples. They are just gorgeous right now, even with so much rain lately. Also, lots of pasque flowers, columbine, mums, butterfly weed, daisies, lupine, phlox, asters, 1daylily, hostas, red geum, purple coneflowers, roses, bee balm (too many), flax, a volunteer alpine daisy . . . .

I'd love to dig up a bergenia for you. It's very hardy and is blooming right now. I'd love to try a geum (not red), Maltese cross, and some penstemon. First I need to dig up those grape hyacinths! They have invaded.

Please let me know if you'd like any of the above and I'll save seeds, too.

Tweak, have you tried the fruits on your eastern prickly pear? I've thought about growing those because prickly pears are one of my favorite fruits and I want to make wine with them, but in the pictures I've seen the fruit look much smaller and skinnier with less pulp and juice than the western/less hardy ones. I've done a lot of googling trying to see if there is a cultivar of the eastern kind that produces good fruit but haven't had much luck finding any information. Someone needs to get to breeding them for fruit. At least they're pretty cheap at the Mexican grocery stores.

I've never actually tried any cactus fruits....to my knowledge. Perhaps its from bad experiences from the flesh of multiple species, I remember biting into the leaf of an aloe vera as a kid....awful, and the rotten/sour cucumber taste of trichocereus species as a teen...again just awful. As far as growing them though, yes, you definatley should. The fact that there is a cactus that we can grow round these parts is too awesome, better yet knowing that bird dumpings over thousands and thousands of years made it so! If I get a good bounty this year I will certainly send some your way.....and if you made wine.....well then....I may ask for a lil ;)

I've never actually tried any cactus fruits....to my knowledge. Perhaps its from bad experiences from the flesh of multiple species, I remember biting into the leaf of an aloe vera as a kid....awful, and the rotten/sour cucumber taste of trichocereus species as a teen...again just awful. As far as growing them though, yes, you definatley should. The fact that there is a cactus that we can grow round these parts is too awesome, better yet knowing that bird dumpings over thousands and thousands of years made it so! If I get a good bounty this year I will certainly send some your way.....and if you made wine.....well then....I may ask for a lil ;)

Thanks for the offer. You should definitely try a prickly pear sometime. I don't know about the eastern ones but the western ones are great. To me they taste like a combination of watermelon and raspberries. They're one of the best tasting fruits I've had. The seeds are a little annoying though, it would be nice if someone would breed a seedless variety.

Thanks for the offer. You should definitely try a prickly pear sometime. I don't know about the eastern ones but the western ones are great. To me they taste like a combination of watermelon and raspberries. They're one of the best tasting fruits I've had. The seeds are a little annoying though, it would be nice if someone would breed a seedless variety.

Prickly pears are tasty!

Lets see here:
10 kinds of peppers
2 kinds of basil
chives
parsley
rosemary
thyme
catnip
petunias
marigolds
dahlias
gladiolus
tulips
daylillies
asiatic lillies
lilac
spirea
5 hostas
caladium
6 kinds of coleus
Amaranthus tricolor
geranium
alyssum
a rhododendron that was there before we moved in 17 years ago

and I have some kind of wildflower mix that hasn't germinated yet

and the nasties
goutweed
goutweed
goutweed
poison ivy
thistle

I so very want to kill the massive amounts of goutweed and put some nice plants in, but it laughs at round up and comes right back when it's pulled up

I so very want to kill the massive amounts of goutweed and put some nice plants in, but it laughs at round up and comes right back when it's pulled up

Have you tried ULORIC..........?? ;)

I too have de gout, a variegated variety however, certainly don't mind its existence. It's visually successful as a filler among the other plants.

If you really hate it.....you can kill it, but its going to be like taking down an elephant with a tooth pick. Its a rhizome plant, in spring you have to cut the stems of the new leaves, so it cant photosynthesize. Then follow the shoot and dig up the rhizome. Weed killers will kill the vegetation, but the nutrient reserve will remain perfectly fine. Make sure you get every lil bit!

It's the more aggressive green variety that isn't as cute. It actually does look nice in an area where it's used as an edging surrounded by concrete, as long as the flower stems are removed, It's just that this is my first year attempting to garden and it's been spreading for at least 20 years or so and has covered three sides of the house,And it's starting to go into the yard of the empty house next door (hope whoever moves in likes it).

I noticed that in the heavily weedy area at the side of the house, it won't spread near an area of short red berry plants(not sure what they are...look like mini strawberries) and wild ginger. I'm guessing it's because those are both also rhizomatous or something

I noticed that in the heavily weedy area at the side of the house, it won't spread near an area of short red berry plants(not sure what they are...look like mini strawberries)

What color are the flowers? You probably have mock/false/Indian strawberries (potentilla indica), which have yellow flowers and are related to wild strawberries. They're edible, but have no flavor. If the flowers are white then they're probably wild strawberries. Mock strawberries grow all over the yard here. They can be pretty invasive.

I know I'm not going to remember everything. 20 tomato plants, 5 blueberry bushes, fig tree, 2 persimmons, parsley, sage, basil,
oregano, lemon verbena, stevia,

my dad introduced me to a video clip of stevia and said i should grow it...since my wife is diabetic im sure she would appreciate this.. did you grow yours from seeds or buy the plant....

seeds: where did you get the seeds? how long did it take to germ (were you successful?) what growing/germ conditions (heat dome)? what medium how is it doing?

plants: where did you get it from... how much...

thanks.. all help is appreciated

Back