how much bonemeal?

Im not very good at picking ferterlizers...but have read peppers really like the bonemeal..i have never used before but i picked up some bonemeal and some fish fertirlizer and was wondering how much bonemeal do i add? and if i add to much will it burn the plants? After doing some research i found on ecoseeds they recommend a couple tbls per plant!!!....im thinking this is after in the ground cause it sure seems like alot i added 1.5 tsp and per plant and it just seems like too much. Thought id ask the experts before i continue....

Thanks

Here is what im using
20140226_174715.jpg

Here is after adding 1.5 teaspoon per plant
20140226_174850.jpg

Here is after i got scared and tried to remove bonemeal
20140226_175513.jpg

All the products I have (tomato feed, bone meal and bone & blood meal mix) are all a medium-brown color and more like tiny crumbly pebbles, compared to your white powder stuff.. My Bone & Blood Meal mix is 7-7-0 and I generally mix it into the soil or as a layer just under the top of the soil.

I've tinkered with different amounts and I don't think I've ever encountered it burning my plants or their roots. Then again, the stuff I have is slow-release, I believe. Just a guess, but where your's is more of a powder is it more of a fast-release?

(bare in mind I'm still pretty damn new to growing)

Not an expert. Far from. But I added 2tbs every 3 weeks and till it in the soil. That's when they were in 4gallon pots outdoors. They got really deficient one time. Never let them down after that. This year I got some liquid calcium to add to the water. I would start easy and see how they respond. Good luck. Let use know how it turns out.

Thanks to all for your input on this,

--JS06 I was thinking the same I was gonna start out with 1/4 tsp on just a few plants and see how they were doing in a week or so.  If all good then i would continue dosing the rest of them. 

I have also seen a few sites that advise against the bonemeal touching the plant because it will burn, so I thought i would put it along the edge of the container and water in.  Do you or anyone else know if you can get ferterlizer burn from bonemeal? 

beerbreath81 said:

I have also seen a few sites that advise against the bonemeal touching the plant because it will burn, so I thought i would put it along the edge of the container and water in.  Do you or anyone else know if you can get ferterlizer burn from bonemeal? 

Your plants look really healthy! As a general rule, granular or time released fertilizers of any kind should not be applied too close to the stem. I doubt bone meal would burn since it is really just ground bone and has a low N rating but no reason to risk it. Certain bone meals like fish bone meal are much higher in N. 

Bone meal takes a long time to break down and become available to the plant, and it will not break down on the surface of the soil. Mixing it in is a good idea, using a side dress technique, but on pots that small I would be worried about still being too close to the root system, and possibly throwing off the nutrient balance or harming roots. 

Bone meal is one of those things that I have always used in the ground at planting time, like a handful per plant, backfill with some dirt, then plant, or side dress 4-5" from the stem. My thought process is it gives the plant time to get bigger, more established, and it also gives the bone meal time to decompose before the roots reach it later in the season, when they really need it. 

Right now vegetative growth is the most important, so if it were me I would use just the fish fert you have for now. If you do use both you might want to dilute the fish fert more since you are getting some N from the bone meal.

Mallory said:

Your plants look really healthy! As a general rule, granular or time released fertilizers of any kind should not be applied too close to the stem. I doubt bone meal would burn since it is really just ground bone and has a low N rating but no reason to risk it. Certain bone meals like fish bone meal are much higher in N. 

Bone meal takes a long time to break down and become available to the plant, and it will not break down on the surface of the soil. Mixing it in is a good idea, using a side dress technique, but on pots that small I would be worried about still being too close to the root system, and possibly throwing off the nutrient balance or harming roots. 

Bone meal is one of those things that I have always used in the ground at planting time, like a handful per plant, backfill with some dirt, then plant, or side dress 4-5" from the stem. My thought process is it gives the plant time to get bigger, more established, and it also gives the bone meal time to decompose before the roots reach it later in the season, when they really need it. 

Right now vegetative growth is the most important, so if it were me I would use just the fish fert you have for now. If you do use both you might want to dilute the fish fert more since you are getting some N from the bone meal
Thanks Mallory,

I think I'll just go with your suggestion and just use the fish fert for now. I just was reading how peppers really like the calcium and bonemeal is a good choice. I will still use but wait untill I plant out.  Thanks for your input..

Back