• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense How Much Do Habaneros Sell for in Your Area?

I'm curious about the cost of Habaneros around the world. For a true comparison only one type of pepper should be used, so I chose Habanero (regardless of type). Cheers.

Farmers markets here sell them for 10 cents each. The local grocery stores are anywhere between 20 and 50 cents each depending on the time of year. This is for orange habaneros.

Here in Utah right now I've seen them for $5.99 a pound, a couple of years back I saw them at $15.99 a pound.

Cheapest at a grocery store in my area (in season, the good stores) is around $3ish and it can range to $7.99!

Growing your own habs and having to much that none more will fit in your freezer: Priceless :lol:

xo nicole

Yeah, here in the mountains of NC, we run at about $3 a pound, give or take a little depending on where ya go. Actually found Scotch Bonnetts for $5 a pound once. made sure and got a pound. They were AWESOME! I saved the seeds and will be growing off of them next year.

Here in the outskirts to nowhere Missouri I've seen them at about $2.99 a pound to $3.89 per pound, depending on demand for them. These are just the plain old orange yellow habs that you see all the time at the store. During the summer months you can hardly give them away at a farmer's market as just about every one grows them. But if you are growing some of the super hots there can be a mad dash to buy all you have in a very short time, and you can ask upward to $5.00 to $8.00 a pound.
George W.

Congo Habs (Jamaican hot pepper) for 50 cents each.
I don't remember the other prices :-(
The quality is crap compared to the stuff I grow.

orange habs are mixed with other non hotties and sold for $8.99/lb; I purchased a tray of Scotch Bonnets for $3.50 that contained about 20 peppers of various stature(red, orange, green).

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out how much to charge here in Thailand. Everything (produce wise) is sold by the kilo which is 2.21 lbs. Some of the hill tribe peppers sell for ฿130 (baht) which is about $4.20/kilo in USD. Cheers.

Bought some about a month ago here and they were 7.99 a pound. I saved some seeds, hope to have my own next year.

Orange habs are $6.99/lb here in my small part of the world. Thai's have just started to show up in the stores as well. I can't remember what the price is though

I'm on 3 forums in Thailand and finally found one guy who has actually sold Habaneros and some Mexican style pods. He's growing hydroponically. His price for Habaneros is ฿300- 350/kilogram. That equals $10 - 11.30 USD/2.21lbs of pods.
This is great because I now have a yard stick to measure with/by for pricing.
That seems to be in the ballpark for an average U.S. pound of Habaneros.
I've actually had a restaurant contact me regarding Habanero pods. Cheers.

The last time I saw habaneros in the store, they were around $4-5CND for a small package of mostly unripe and slimey peppers
You can probably charge more if you sell the pods in smaller quantities like individually or by the pint. Most customers won't be looking for pounds of the hotties and selling by the container you can avoid having to buy expensive certified scales and potential issues having them inspected and calibrated.

We have a significant Hispanic population here in Lexington.
As a result the local mexican grocery markets regularly get several varieties of nice fresh chiles.
Orange Habs are 2.99 a pound and are readily available.

Back