• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How much Perlite is too much

Other than drying out issues and not retaining nutrients up to what ratio potting mix to Perlite is too much when potting up your pepper plants?

I generally add 1 handful per every 2-3 handfulls of potting mix and it seems to be not too bad... I also tend to raise the ratio of it at the bottom of my pots and right at the top... someone once told me I should do it 50/50 ratio but that seems extreme to me... what is your happy ratio of perlite to soil?

In theory, you could use 100% perlite if you wanted to micro-manage the nutes and such (like hydroponics).

50% seems extreme (and too expensive) to me, but it depends on what you are mixing it with. When mixing with mostly peat, I use around 20% total perlite and vermiculite. If you are mixing with actual soil you may want more.

I do 40% coco/peat, 40% perlite and 20% humus.
The reason I do so, is because I found this ratio best in my climate.

Hahah.. for a minute I thought you said Hummus instead of humus hehehe... but I'd imagine the middle eastern chick-pea dish would probably start to stink after a few days and not add much to the grow process... heheh

Personally I like to add a little beer, but it doesn't usually make its way to the plants

I do 40% coco/peat, 40% perlite and 20% humus.
The reason I do so, is because I found this ratio best in my climate.

Other than drying out issues and not retaining nutrients up to what ratio potting mix to Perlite is too much when potting up your pepper plants?

I generally add 1 handful per every 2-3 handfulls of potting mix and it seems to be not too bad... I also tend to raise the ratio of it at the bottom of my pots and right at the top... someone once told me I should do it 50/50 ratio but that seems extreme to me... what is your happy ratio of perlite to soil?
yep, for soil mixes I like around 30-40 % perlite

~30% perlite/vermiculite seems to work for me. Soil drains relatively quickly, but moisture is still retained for long enough that I don't need to water very frequently.

Hahah.. for a minute I thought you said Hummus instead of humus hehehe... but I'd imagine the middle eastern chick-pea dish would probably start to stink after a few days and not add much to the grow process... heheh

Personally I like to add a little beer, but it doesn't usually make its way to the plants
Hummus is actually more available to me than humus. :lol:

Back