• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How much rain is too much rain?

Reason I'm asking is according to JPL Climatologists, California is on track to have a very good possibility of what they are referring to as a Godzilla El Nino.
Rain amounts could be staggering.
So, for my container plants (in-grounds are what they are) when is it too much?

Dave

I lived out your way for a while, but am now in the great white north (snow country) and we've had a few very rainy years in a row. I grow in containers exclusively for many reasons, but one of the best is that I can move them. Typically I keep the door of my garage open and move them just inside so they can dry out (or not get overly wet to start with) but also get as much light as possible. How much is too much? If the leaves start getting yellowish, it's too much. Generally, though, I don't let them stay soaking wet for more than 2 days. Ideally less than that - if they get soaked one day I usually haul them inside. The thing with letting them stay too wet for too long is not just a matter of color change, but the growth will slow, flowers and pods may not be produced, and/or pods that do exist may become problematic. The leaves will also start to brown and fall off if it continues too long.

Pod problems I've seen when the plants stay too wet for too long include the pod skins splitting and the pods getting mushy. If the skin splits, the plant may try to heal it over, much like you or I get a scab if we split our skin a tad. This isn't a bad thing, but not attractive. Alternately, the split skin will make the pod more susceptible to infestation by bugs and diseases. The pods get mushy as an early sign of blossom end rot (BER - which doesn't always appear on the end, btw.) The rain may cause calcium lockout, and the plants need calcium to prevent BER. I had a period where I couldn't move the plants into the garage and it just wouldn't stop raining, so the pods almost all started to turn mushy. But the rain finally let up and I gave them CalMag (a product by Botanicare) and was surprised that the pods firmed back up. This might not have happened if it had gone on much longer, though.

Awesome geeme!

I use cal-mag. Ok, great.
Just got back from vacation and had my plants on a water timer. Little too much I think. A few of my Chocolate Hab pods were mushy. Most were great though. Picked about 50 this morning :p

i live in one of the wettest places on earth. I too grow in containers so i can move my plants undercover if we get pelted. The problem is that this happens quite a bit so it can be tiring moving all the pots. I am looking into a big greenhouse for this exact reason.

Yes, moving them what seems almost daily becomes a serious chore if you have more than a few plants (I do.) I bought a flatbed cart to help with that, and am really glad I did. I thought about building a wheeled stand for them, so I could just move the entire stand at once (probably multiple stands, but the point was to not even have to lift the pots on and off the cart.) But the cart I found was very reasonably priced and I didn't want a stand taking up too much room in the garage, so I passed on the stand. 

Great info geeme.  There have been several times when I was moving my 10 gallon pots around and the pepper plant branches brushing against my face and I just thought "free workout Mike, free workout"

M

Back