• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc How often do you mix up seedlings?

Just thought I'd share a frustration that I'm sure many people here also experience! I'm someone who labels every plant I have, and if I'm seeding a large variety in a tray I'll use a whiteboard to map which seeds are which.

As my plants fruit, I'm realizing I STILL somehow mixed the seedlings up at some point anyway, and now I only know what one plant is so far, and only because poblanos are uniquely shaped/colored to the rest. I'll have to wait a month or two for the others to show their true colors, and I think I'm missing some of my varieties entirely. 🙃

So.. how many of you out there don't know what's what? I can't be alone haha

Mostly mine stay pretty well segregated, and I plant only one type at a time. But this year I had ghost and scotch bonnet in the same tray and wasn't paying attention, so they're all mixed together. Fortunately those aren't hard to tell apart.

I feel your pain, I have 4 types I never orders seed for, 3 mismarked somehow to a pepper I know I didn't order and have no idea what it is. Everything was later than I expected to fruit and not sure what is going to ripen before they rot. With so much rain and temp drops the last month I have been pulling and potting and that is only going so-so for now. Next time will be different even though I thought I had been very careful.

I just sowed seeds for one of the varieties I missed due to the mixup, and considered planting one other variety with it.

Took only a second thought to remember the first mixup and decide only one variety gets sown this time 😂
One of them finally sprouted! Now in several months I'll finally get to see what I missed the first time haha

Attachments

• 20231021_144231.jpg
    20231021_144231.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 49
Back