• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water How often do you water?

I have been watering my buckets every other day. I'm getting mold on the top of my soil. How often should I be watering? its already in the high 70s, low 80s here.

Yeah, I always 'stress' my peppers if you will. I let them wilt atleast a little bit before I water, and some people may argue that stressing a pepper plant will actually make your pods hotter, not sure if that's true or not

I always let the plant tell me when to water. If your unsure then dig down into the dirt 4" or so to see how damp or dry the soil is and act accordingly.
I've also watered potted plants and then picked them up to see how heavy they are; if you're not sure, then pick up the pot; if it's light then you'll know it needs water. The main thing with potted plants is to be cautious about over watering.

All of the above for me...

I rarely water the plants in the ground, and then usually with a liquid fertiliser, but the pots definitely need more attention, obviously.

Personally I never try to let plant wilt. Although stressing a plant may make for hotter pods, it also makes for a stressed out plant that will be set back and lose valuable production. Just let you plants dry well between waterings
After a while you should be able to tell when your plants are dry just by the look or the weight of the containers.
You might want to try a looser, well drained soil, or try bottom watering. With a good "soil" its difficult to over water

How often you water will depend on the size of your plant, the size of the container, the weather and the moisture holding ability of your medium. There are too many variables involved to provide you with a strict schedule on watering. Let the plant tell you when it needs water or plunge your index finger up past the second knuckle and if it doesn't feel moist at that depth ....

Back