• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

I've just been watering my chillies twice a day. I know that would make most people on here cringe but in 40' heat (104'F) you gotta do what ya gotta do. My plants are kicking ass.
107F64A6-2D25-4FDE-A850-61F7EC3ECDE7-3502-000001E1574196E8.jpg
Putting out Pods too :D
B4CD0E72-CD27-43EA-9D90-4DBFCD911B9D-3502-000001E1519F05A6.jpg
89C7C1ED-E7BB-4EB6-8622-F222F2984FCB-3502-000001E14B83B9E8.jpg
EE8621CD-38A3-45C0-90B9-7ADF1B96A821-3502-000001E142943941.jpg
This last Pod is supposed to be a ghost pepper. I don't think it looks like a bhut. Anyone else grown them? Do they look like this at the start?
Looks similar to cilli gorong but with the weirded weather cud be any thing

What are the best seed source options in .au? I want to stock up but want to make sure I'm getting quality etc. Any advice on good seed vendors that are in/can ship to Perth would be really great! thanks

What are the best seed source options in .au? I want to stock up but want to make sure I'm getting quality etc. Any advice on good seed vendors that are in/can ship to Perth would be really great! thanks
Wildfire Chilli are in Perth, The Hippy Seed Company and Jungle Rain are good ones too.

habs at woolies got it for free because i bought one and it wouldnt register a weight on their scales :)
that happened to me too! I got a handfull of them for 2 cents!

and any other time I've bought them from woolies the young check out chicks think they are hot yellow chilies..which are about $20 a kilo cheaper

Wildfire Chilli are in Perth, The Hippy Seed Company and Jungle Rain are good ones too.

Yup....

http://www.wildfirechilli.com.au/

http://www.junglerain.com.au/

http://www.thehippyseedcompany.com/

I do believe Neil (THSC) doesn't isolate, well, the last I heard. I dunno... I've never ended up with any hybrids though.

I have never had any issues with hybrids from THSC either. I think isolation is hugely over stated as a marketing tool. I also have to have a laugh when people say they isolate when they use porous net bags or curtains. This only isolates against bigger insects, not windblown pollens or tiny ants etc.
No such thing as 100% pure unless the seeds are grown and harvested in lab conditions.
Not only that but because Chilli's are self fertile the flowers will usually pollinate themselves well before they have a chance to be pollinated from an outside source unless deliberate.
I have yet to have an accidental hybrid and my plants literally grow over and through each other. Fingers crossed that continues as I have given away quite a few in trades these last few months (although I have grown out saved seeds from some of my pods from last year and they have all grown true thus far)
I have also had hybrids from a reputable vendor based in the US on more then one occasion so you run a risk wherever you choose to spend your money as far as I am concerned.
Rant over ;) :D

+1 Trippa

I also suspect isolation is talked up too much. I have read in reputable books that windborne pollen crosses are incredibly rare. Its one of those 99 % never happen situations but they have to mention it because of the 1% possibility. The most probable occurrence when the wind is involved, is the flower will pollinate itself.

I'm hoping this is true because I planted too close together and they are growing through each other! Ants seem to be doing a lot of the pollinating in my garden. Doing some isolating anyway.

Yeah I think I planted mine too close together too Mega. Ahwell! Will be stoked if they get big enough to grow together.

I might give Jungle Rain a go.. they have a great variety! Thanks all.

Back