misc How Stupid am I?

fatalliman said:
Hot sauce reviews?
I shoulda been a moderator, alot needs to be in the lounge or maybe an OT section
my 1 cents,
Anon
My bad. 😉 Blame it on my newness for starting this one here. But look at who is now posting! Seems his extract is pharmiceutical grade. Even extract haters might want to compare notes. 😉

As for comparing notes, a mass produced extract uses ketones for production, hence the large amounts that can be produced. I'd imagine the stuff tastes comparable to tarmac. As for UN regulations, you may want to look into that a little closer, it ain't no FDA. But alas, to each his own. I'd much prefer to make my own than purchase a laboratory excretion.

DEFCON CREATOR CAPSAICIN. Take a lemon and reover the citric acid. Now refine it. What do you get???? PURE citric acid that is very acrid. Tastes like crap and nothing like a lemon. Does great for preserving sauces and getting the pH value past that magical 4.6 level. Just a hint for you amateurs. :twisted:

Peace....we're all in this for the same thing. Whether you like 'making' or 'buying' capsicum is really a matter of personal preference. Do you use vinegar or lemon juice? Vinegar gives it that yucky acetic acid taste. Lemon is natural and much higher in the acidic scale. Another tip for you amateurs. 😉

Muso2112 said:
DEFCON CREATOR CAPSAICIN. Take a lemon and reover the citric acid. Now refine it. What do you get???? PURE citric acid that is very acrid. Tastes like crap and nothing like a lemon. Does great for preserving sauces and getting the pH value past that magical 4.6 level. Just a hint for you amateurs. :twisted:

Peace....we're all in this for the same thing. Whether you like 'making' or 'buying' capsicum is really a matter of personal preference. Do you use vinegar or lemon juice? Vinegar gives it that yucky acetic acid taste. Lemon is natural and much higher in the acidic scale. Another tip for you amateurs. 😉

Actually, I think it's capsaicin extract that's bitter... That's why Defcon uses pure grain alkyhol... And the reason I don't use it at all... So, if you're telling me that the bitter taste really is the cap... Which reinforces why we don't use pure cap. Why bother, the fresh peppers taste so nice.

As for USP grade... would that the hot sauce makers were actually using that... Then again, it would still taste like extract; wouldn't it.

Anyway... aside from it seemingly being very expensive... obviously nobody except maybe Kraft is going to buy this stuff by the pound, what is the difference between steam extracted cap and ketone or alkyhol extracted cap?

God, don'tcha just love technical discussions of hot sauce?

Btw... I can buy absinthe at the local liquor store, but have to special order if I want half decent tequila. Being Canadian may have its privileges, but sometimes it has its drawbacks. :halo:

T

Muso...
Oooh, look, someone got their panties in a bunch. :twisted:

To each his own. You can have the laboratory tailings, I'll make my own. As for being bitter, why would I be bitter, I pride myself on my creations, not which supplier I can buy bulk heat from. You seem to have a lot of angst built up. Ketones will do that to you. :mrgreen:

DEFCON Creator said:
Muso...
Oooh, look, someone got their panties in a bunch. :twisted:

To each his own. You can have the laboratory tailings, I'll make my own. As for being bitter, why would I be bitter, I pride myself on my creations, not which supplier I can buy bulk heat from. You seem to have a lot of angst built up. Ketones will do that to you. :mrgreen:

Now you... be nice to Muso... He's talkin technical with me. :halo:

DEFCON Creator said:
I am. I just don't like being lectured, with misdirected attitude, on things I am all too familiar with.

Carry on...

Awww, now, John... he wasn't lecturing... he was edumacating... Sounds to me like he knows his stuff too. I doubt he took our light hearted banter as all that.

But... just so's there's no ambiguity... I betcha muso's extracts taste just like extracts do; so there.

DEFCON Creator said:
I wouldn't call slamming the FDA educational, nor the premise for political vitriol. But alas, this is a hot sauce forum, let's keep it that way.

John... whatchoo talking about man, I slam the FDA all the time. :) If you had to do what I have to do everytime you sent out an order, man, you'd slam 'em too. :D

T

The FDA has done a ton of good, and perhaps some bad stuff in their history. Personally, I'd rather have them around than have a bunch of products on the shelf uncontrolled. I agree they may be a little strict, but better that than no control. Well, that being said...Back to the sauce :D

Ok, Kids, I'll lay down my weapons and unbunch my panties. Just had to let y'all know that I won't be trashed without my presence being felt. Some like the chemical taste of capsicum, some don't. Hey, some people find KETCHUP too hot. To each his own, and I won't poke my finger at anyone else for their beliefs or preferences. And Tina, of course you can buy Absinthe, you're in Canada, eh! I know what you mean about sending sauces to the States. How much paperwork do you have to do????? I'm gonna call my next batch "MAD COW' Hot Sauce!!!! :) >>Defcon

Sorry, don't wear panties.

As for absinthe, I've had it (believe it or not, it IS available in the US, just like many other things that aren't quite legal). The stuff is absolutely nasty, knock yourself out. Even if it were available in stores around here I wouldn't touch that junk. Cheap buzzes are just that. I'll stick with my single malts.

As for being trashed, perhaps seem to be a bit sensitive. I was trashing bulk sales of extract, not you personally. Perhaps it's the absinthe, or distilled wormwood as it is known...

Now, back to the sauces....

Back