• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

how the heck...

do you make a choccy pepper?

Is there some secret society of pepper breeders passing on the eldritch secrets of capsicum genetics?
I can see a dark cabal meeting in secret during the New Moon, clad in black raiment and cloaked in secrecy in an abandoned insane asylum in Dunwich.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of habaneros in the midst of chocolate seas of jolokia, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of capsaicin, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly heat into the peace and safety of a new sweet jalapeno age.

In short, chocolate peppers come from a recessive trait (I think, and correct me if I'm wrong on the recessive part, as this may be dominant because it seems many things crossed with choco pod plants retain the chocolate gene) in which the chlorophyll that at first makes the immature pod a nice green color doesn't break down. As the pepper ripens and produces other pigments that would normally indicate ripeness ie. red, orange, or yellow, the green is left behind to blend with the color, and green plus other colors makes a nice chocolate brown. So to breed a chocolate fatali, bhut, 7pod, jalapeno, whatever, you must cross it with a plant that's producing chocolate pods. From there, one must continue back crossing with the original parent plants to attain the desired fruit shape, taste, heat etc.

In short, the secret to chocolate pods is like a well shaped piece of ass. It's in the genes (jeans) man...

I'm not sure, but I think these guys may have been involved-
wonkoomp.jpg

WTF? Lay off the hot stuff man, you've melted your brain. Wow...long time lurker, first time poster, and I busted my cherry on this.

Back