• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests How to attract beneficial bugs

Let the herbs flower. They love herb flowers. I have a perennial fennel that comes up every year. Here it is
in the flower stage. The leaves get more sparse when the plant concentrates on the flowering process. Below
is a orange wasp that eats caterpillars. It is a beneficial. The other small bug I don't know what it is. Another good
plant is mountain mint.

DSCN0018-1.jpg

Way to go guys!

I'd love to let the dandelions run free this year but I think the neighbors would come after me. I already get a few strange looks because of the pepper plants filling up my driveway and most of the locals are aware of my other hobby.

Think I'm going to try fennel, coriander and dill. Two or three of each interspersed in with the peppers.

I've had friends who were very adamant about planting basil in their pepper gardens. They say it attracts beneficial insects. I think I just get plain lucky, last year I had praying mantii living in my plants. They were pregnant, so hopefully I will see more of them this season. Good luck.

if i'm not mistaken, depending on what your trying to do, more bee's = more pollination = more chance for cross pollination. Not good if your saving seeds.

Back