• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering How to "clean" over-wintering plants?

Some of plants doesn't like this hot autumn so I cut them and prepared for over-wintering.
Due awful weather all of plans have some problems this season - from aphids to early blight, all was cured with remedies or with AACT but some plants still have curled leafs, some tiny black fungus so I want to somehow "clean" them to prevent outbreak next growing season or during overwintering.

In this part of the world (east Europe) most popular commercial remedy is "red oil" that has been widely used on fruit trees, roses shrubs, garden plants, grapes during their winter rest and was applied right after pruning in 3% mixture with water - plants are soaked and it creates sticky coat that kills insects and most of diseases.. 

Active ingredient: 

Copper ( from copper (I) oksyde  .........100 g/l).
The substance contains 550 g/l refined paraffin oil .
Formulation –emulsion concentrate (EC)
The substance is applied as acaricide, insecticide and fungicide in orchards and vineyards during resting phenophase and during vegetation movement

Will this be useful for my plants ? 

Yes, at least to a degree. Some bugs lay their eggs within the cell structure of the plant, so an insecticidal soap (or anything used on the surface) won't get to them. For these, other than an insecticide made to water the plant with (so the plant will uptake it via the root system and disperse it to the remainder of the plant), your option is to wait until they hatch and then attack, attack, attack.

I repot mine before bringing them into the house. I remove them from their current pots, wash off as much of the old dirt as possible, and trim the roots the same distance to the soil like as I trim the tops. Then give them a dousing with a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. I give both tops and bottoms a pretty significant pruning, making sure all the leaves come off. This process helps remove soil-borne nasties.

Thank you for quick advice.  Bugs aren't my greatest concern and I have enought practice with them :). 
Tiny black/brow spots that are visibile on flower buds and curled leafs that are visible on plants that was previously heavily infested are something that I would like to "clean":
8032588302_04b24caef8.jpg

It doesn't spread any further, only few plants have it.

If you're bringing them in anyway and there's a concern, hack off all the leaves. I pruned most of mine down to sticks when I brought them in, and they're already recovering.

I say hack it off took, but keep some air movement on them inside to help prevent that over winter. Plant in new soil to hopefully get rid of any aphids in there too.

Giving them a bath in hydrogen peroxide and water will help kill of many funguses and bacteria. Not sure what the brown spots are, as they could be caused by bugs, as well, but a good pruning to remove all the stems and leaves that have the brown spots will likely help.

You didn't say if you're growing in the ground or in pots...but by the leaf spot condition it would seem that the plants are in the ground and its a soil borne disease.
If your plants have woody bases with bright green stems with no black spot issues than you can do as stated above for the OW process. Make sure to clean all the dirt off the roots with a high pressure water source. Spray the plant with a recommend Fungicide, repot into a clean/bleached pot and use a new potting medium. Place the plant into a large
trash bag, tightly close for a day (this helps with whatever method of chemical used). Even with a fresh potting mix theres always the chance of ending up with some soil larve. If that happens do as "geeme" says and attack, attack, attack......

Growing in a Greenhouse helps minimize the risk of pest infestation (properly enclosed growing space with no plants around the structure) or plants to sacrifice near by worm juice or /myco and soil blast help prevent plant diseases and provide beneficial bacterial and great root growth. (You can use cheap CFL lights to heat your greenhouse/cold frame/Polly tunnel/ high tunnel or low tunnel.

Back