• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How to handle cutting hot peppers

Gloves are a waste of time.

I just wash my hands 3-5 times with Dawn dish soap and warm water (quick back-to-back washes, a minute total, max) and whenever my eye itches for the next hour-plus... I stick my finger under my sleeve and scratch it with my shirt.

Well, it doesn't bother me much, but it sure bothers my wife! Apparently the heat will follow me from the kitchen to the bedroom, if you know what I mean! :mouthonfire: :rofl:

Nova's Toilet paper of choice

NorrisTP.jpg

I never bother with gloves, but it's more a stupid thing than a tough thing. I had the hand burns for three days in a row once after making a really big batch of poppers. It got to the point where I was seriously wondering if it was MS instead of hunan hand.

"Vegetable oil is essentially fat, and rubbing your hands with it prior to chopping up and handling your chiles can help cut an otherwise agonizing burn"

Cutting chilies - Helium.com
Well, capsaicin dissolves in vegetable oil, so all that would do is...

* Get more capsaicin on your hands... :doh:

* Spread the capsaicin out so that your entire hands would burn... :eek:

* Make is much easier for you to transfer capsaicin to anything you touch! :fireball:

Because it dissolves capsaicin, vegetable can be used to help wash off any peppery goodness you accidentally got on yourself.

But using it to block capsaicin is a bit like trying to make yourself fireproof by dowsing yourself in gasoline! :onfire:

(Note - I guess someone enlightened them, as it looks like they've corrected the original article to remove that erroneous advice! ;))

I did get a laugh when I read this :rolleyes:, however -

There are actually well over 54 or more different kinds of Chile peppers
WOW, that many?! :rofl:

Back