• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How to know which peppers grow best in my area?

Hi all,

I'm new here so first, I'd like to say hello to everyone! Now, for my question. How do you know which peppers will grow best in your area? Is there a good reference out there (online or in print) that specifically tells you what environmental conditions, such as temperature, works best for each variety? Or, should I just assume that any pepper seeds sold in my local garden center will work in my own garden?

Thanks so much for any advice you'd like to share!

There will be a lot of variable to consider like your local weather, your soil type along with drainage and if your garden is full sun or shady. I think that peppers can be grown anywhere, as long as you are planning on starting them inside first. Some of the ones that take a long time to grow will benefit from starting early indoors and then transplanting them to your garden.

Thank you so much for your response! Ok, I'm happy to hear that I can potentially grow the variety I want. I wasn't sure if I needed to have consistently hot weather here (80F or over) during the summer months to make this work.

Seeing as how I'm growing everything from mild jalapenos to the superhots here in northern British Columbia, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine :).

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the welcome messages and replies!

I'm looking forward to growing jalapenos and habaneros this coming year and plan to take pictures for my website during the process. I can't wait!

Back